Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Growing Text fields

Level 2

Hello,

I have one problem that I cannot solve. I have been using google to find out how to be able let Text fields grow while you write into them so the scoll bar wont come up or the txt in the field goes just to the constantly to the right. I have not found a solution but I have found this:

1) Open a new form and drop a text field on your form.
2) On the object inspector, click on the "field" tab.
3) Check the "Allow multiple lines" box and set your desired property values.
4) On the "layout" inspector, select "expand to fit" in the dimension that you want (i.e: width and/or height)
5) From the hierrachy, right click on your textfield and select "wrap in subform".
6) Select your new subform that just created. On the "Object" inspector, select "subform" tab.
7) Choose "flow content" for type. Select "top to bottom" for flow direction.
8 ) On the "layout" inspector, select "auto-fit" for both height and width.
9) Now, you can test your form by click on "PDF preview" tab.

And with this I am able to write into them / press tab, and then it grows. But still not the result I was looking for. I would like to be able to write into the Text fields and it grows with the writing....

BUT..... Then another issue comes up.
If I am writing a lot in a Text Field, it grows over the next Text Field that is below it! So when you write more then the box is designed for the text box goes over the next one. And this I have not been able to solve..
How am I able to lock those fields or connect them so when someone writes more into one the text field then the field is, it grows While writing and Everything that is below Moves down with it. ??...

Hope that someone is able to answer this for me.

Kind regards.

14 Replies

Level 4

You must set the parent subforms to flowed instead of positioned.

Level 2

Hi, thanks for the answer...

But then everything that I have done goes all over the page do I have to lock them first or some ?

Level 4

Unfortunately, when you change from Positioned to Flowed all the layout of that subform will get messed up and you’ll have to redesign it almost from scratch.

But it's the only way if you want to change the form layout and have your form rearrange itself “on-line”.

Level 2

aha okey.. well thx alot ! Ill try that out ... many thanks.

Level 2

ouch... I have given up today... Try again tomorrow.

How do I control the flow now ? and how can I arrange forms in the document when everything is flowing ? its like everything comes on top of each other now. Well ill try it tomorrow, there is mixed smoke coming out of my head right know... to much thinking and fury

Level 4

There are 2 orientations possible, top-bottom and western something (left-right). You have to choose one of these 2 and then align your object acordingly.

Use the margin and padding properties to align your objects.

Level 2

Hi ,

Create a forms with a Single subform. Name it (let it be "Page").

Change the layout to "Flow" from "top to bottom".

Add another subform inside page.

change property of this subform to flow.

Add a text field inside the second subform

change the properties of the text field.

Select the check box called "Expand to fit".

preview it . Your text will grow as you enter txt and leave the field.

Add subform , change layout and add the components that the trick for growing

and dynamic forms...

All the best.

Level 2

yeah thx.. well Helpful, but still not getting it like I want.

How is it possible to make something so simple so difficult ! This should just be easy to put in, drag around and do it's thing... smash a check mark into "grow while writing" and "increase hight if needed".

This is just getting even more complicated then it was
When this growing problem is working then this the whole form is not working, and by using margin to fit them into the page is just taking too long time instead of be able to move it your self. Well again, I am going to sleep on it.

Level 2

I am attaching a sample form .

Hope this helps you

Level 2

Sorry i forgot to attach the sample file.

Level 2

Don't know what it is, my eye's or my head. maybe that is the reason I am not able to solve this problem in Designer... but where is this sample ? I do not see it ?

p.s. I am a new user in here and in Design as well like you have maybe already seen

Level 2

I only see blank... comment... no attachment or anything.

Former Community Member

You won't be able to add an attachment (due to viruses being uploaded). You can share the file on Acrobat.com and then put the link to the file in the forum message.

Paul