Expand my Community achievements bar.

Radically easy to access on brand approved content for distribution and omnichannel performant delivery. AEM Assets Content Hub and Dynamic Media with OpenAPI capabilities is now GA.
SOLVED

Form number in header that exports with form data

Level 9

How can i have a form number that is entered into a textfield located on the Master page that will export that form number with the form data? I tried Global binding with an identically named textfield on the design page (hidden) but the data does not export to the spreadsheet.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi,

That's not what I am seeing here. When exported to XML data files and when these are then merged into a spreadsheet, all Master Page objects (with Global Binding) are in the spreadsheet with their data intact.

Can you share your form?

Niall

View solution in original post

13 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi,

That's not what I am seeing here. When exported to XML data files and when these are then merged into a spreadsheet, all Master Page objects (with Global Binding) are in the spreadsheet with their data intact.

Can you share your form?

Niall

Level 9

I see now that if you have the textfield on the Master page and the user tries to enter data into it, it is not saved and therefore not exported. I will have to come up with another way to get a field in the Master Page that will export.

Thanks for your time Niall.

~Don

Level 10

Hi Don,

That is not the behaviour that I would expect. Something else must be amiss.

If I have an object on the Master Page and the user inputs data, I would expect that data to be saved and for the data to export. The export is dependant on the object binding been set to Name/Normal or Global.

Is there script in the object or a default value that is kicking out the inoutted data?

Also check that the File > Form Properties > Defaults tab, has Preserve Script Changes set to Automatic.

Niall

Level 9

Niall,

I checked File > Form Properties > Defaults tab, has Preserve Script Changes set to Automatic and it is set to automatic. That's where it should be set right?

I did find the binding was set to "No Binding". I fixed that and changed it to the name of the field. Now it saves the number I add as a user when I save the form. However, it still does not export. Here's the form example...

https://acrobat.com/#d=TsrZjskpRGoACeacpMPdaA

Level 10

Hi Don,

When uploading files to Acrobat.com you need to Publish them so that others with the URL can access them. Just complete the Publish step and I can then use the link above.

Acrobat.com publish.png

Niall

Level 10

No problem Don.

Here is the form back with an exported XML file and a merged spreadsheet (csv format).

https://acrobat.com/#d=bXKajK*JWrKAUE4ujAR6cw.

You will see that the string (1234) that I inputted into the Master Page TextField did export.

I did change the binding from Name/Normal to Global, becuase objects like this on the Master Page will need a Global binding, so that the inputted value will appear on all pages. However from an export point of view Name/Normal would also work.

Does that solve it?

Niall

Level 9

Maybe I have not explained this well.

After I place the textfield in the Master Page and save the form, that textfield is blank.

The user opens the form and enters a form number in that textfield. He says the form and then exports it. When I do that, the data does not export.

Level 10

Hi Don,

I understand what you are saying, but that is not the experience I am seeing here.

• I took your form and opened it in Acrobat.
  • I inputted a value (1234) and saved the form.
  • I closed it and opened it again. The data was still in the textfield.
  • I exported the data to an XML file. The data exported.
  • Using Acrobat, I merged the XML file into a spreadsheet and the data was in the spreadsheet.

It is behaving as I would expect it to.

When the user opens the form are they using Acrobat or Reader?

If they are using a third-party PDF viewer OR if they are in a Mac environment and opening the form in Apple Preview, then this may explain why the data is not present.

Niall

Level 9

They are using Acrobat. To export they go to Tools/Forms/More Form Options/Manage Form Data/Merge Files Into Spreadsheet  - choose the saved form and export.

Level 10

Okay,

I am using Acrobat X and got it working.

Then try exporting to XML first and then merge the XML into a spreadsheet (two-step process). All from the same menu.

Let me know how you get on,

Niall

Level 9

we are also using Acrobat X Pro. Yes, this two step process does work.

Thank you for solving this for us!

~Don