Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session

Flowable text field inside paragraphs

Level 2

I'm use to creating simple forms that has expandable fields but I have a more complicated document that requires expandable fields inside paragraphs. Can someone give me any idea of how should I go about this?

I have given a example of my situation below. The "_" is the place where I need to add a expandable form field that will flow across (horizontally) pushing any text after it to the right or the next line.

Any help would be great!

Paragraph1

text text text text text

text text text text text

text text text text text

Paragraph1

text text text _ text text

text text text text text

text text text text text

Paragraph3

_ text text text _ text text

text text text text text

text text text text text

7 Replies

Former Community Member

Is this an interactive form (i.e. the user will enter data to make this structure) or ar you merging data onto the form and want this structure when the form is finished merging?

Paul

Level 2

yes, this is an interactive form.

Former Community Member

You can coonfigure your form to do this but you will have to create a field to hold the information that the use types in. While they are typing scroll bars will appear but when they exit the field the form will reflow and expand the field out the way you want. There is an example of this that ships with the product. Look at the comments field in the Purchase Order Dynamic Interactive sample. There is a description on how to find the samples in the Help/Samples menu.

Paul

Level 2

Hi Paul

Yes i already understand how to create expandable fields by creating a flowable subform in which scrollbars appear as the user types and dissappears upon exit.

My example however envolves expandable text fields in the middle of paragraphs in between texts. Should I just create one big text field in the form and add input fields manually? if so when I make the input field  expand across horizontally  the text to the right of it will not drop to the next line.

Example:

("_" stands for where an input field should be)

Paragraph3

_ text text text _ text text

text text text text text

text text text text text

Former Community Member

You woudl have to create a field and prepopulate with the text that you want, then allow the user to add to it. Of course this allows the user to change the text that is already there. You coudl write some sophisticated code that could check to see what they typed then add it to the original text so that it woudl remain the same as before.

Make sense?

Paul

Level 2

Yes, Thank you  Paul for clarifying this up for me.

I will try to work around this because I dont want the user to have the ability to change the text thats already there because this form could be a legal form and I'm not sure about the sophisticated coding.