Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

flowable subforms/pagination/conditional breaks

Level 3

I am creating a dynamic PDF form with flowable subforms.  My problem is pagination and/(or?) conditional breaks.  The questions and answers (flowable text fields) alone need more than one page. Problem: if answer text fields flow onto page 2, the fields seem to run over the bottom margin rather than breaking. I have everything set to "allow page breaks within content".  I haven't found the answer as to how to paginate page 1 properly so that it breaks and doesn't flow over.  Or, if this issue requires a conditional break, have not found any clear guidance about how to set conditional breaks.

Then, if I can get that working, I have the remaining questions & answer text fields on page 2.  I assume simply format a subform exactly as I did the subform on page 1?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 7

Hi Milly Mac,

You had a number of issues. Part of the problem was your Master Page setup. I defined the "Content Area", the Master Page and the Page1 Subform. I eliminated most of your subforms and made all the remaining Subforms flowed, rather than positioned (partially due to my preference and in most cases out of necessity). I used the caption feature for the textfields and eliminated separate text fields for those.

I moved the header to the MasterPage so it shows up on each page and and made room for a footer which would also show up on each page, and that is where you can put document revesion info, contact ino, or whatever you think would be good for that. It helps to define the page with something at the bottom. You will locate the footer fields on the MasterPage. Also, on the MasterPage you can adjust the Content area to make a smaller footer or header.

The "Frame or Box" you have surrounding everything was put on the MasterPage--not sure if you wanted that thing to grow or not. The easyiest way to have it grow is to wrap all the items on Page1 in a flowable, page breaking subform and then use the Layout and the Border Tabs in the Object Pallet to format it to you liking--adjusting the left and right margins to "pad" the inside of the subform--and then adding a border. Then it will grow, close itself at the bottom of each page and start a new flowing box on the next page, and close agin when it runs out of content. You could do this with the existing subforms like the one wrapping the questions and end up with a visible wrapping border around the group of questions.

Lastly, I added the page numbering (Use the Sheet # of # from the Custom Library and change the word Sheet to Page), and formatted all of the text fields so the inputting will look right. And, I named all of the objects--a good habit to be in--since forms can get big and it makes locating objects (and scripting) much easier.

With your other forms, compare how I have done things with this one and go from there. I think you may have been making things a little more complicated than they need to be. I know how you feel--I was lost at the beginning. There really aren't any classes that I've found. But I'm probably past needing a class now--and you will be too. Keep at it.

Good luck,

Stephen

One more thing--another good habit is to name the file without spaces--like I have. If your going to be putting this on a server, you will avoid issues caused by spaces in file names.

S.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Level 10

Post your form and let me try to correct the issue.

Nith

Level 3

Thanks!

Here it is.  I had been working yesterday in subforms/fields for 5b and c since I thought those would be the ones which might bump over onto page 2 (in case the pallet options look kooky).  I have a couple other forms that will present the same problems so I can use your guidance on this form to help me with them.

I REALLY need to take a class but haven't found anything yet.

M mac

Correct answer by
Level 7

Hi Milly Mac,

You had a number of issues. Part of the problem was your Master Page setup. I defined the "Content Area", the Master Page and the Page1 Subform. I eliminated most of your subforms and made all the remaining Subforms flowed, rather than positioned (partially due to my preference and in most cases out of necessity). I used the caption feature for the textfields and eliminated separate text fields for those.

I moved the header to the MasterPage so it shows up on each page and and made room for a footer which would also show up on each page, and that is where you can put document revesion info, contact ino, or whatever you think would be good for that. It helps to define the page with something at the bottom. You will locate the footer fields on the MasterPage. Also, on the MasterPage you can adjust the Content area to make a smaller footer or header.

The "Frame or Box" you have surrounding everything was put on the MasterPage--not sure if you wanted that thing to grow or not. The easyiest way to have it grow is to wrap all the items on Page1 in a flowable, page breaking subform and then use the Layout and the Border Tabs in the Object Pallet to format it to you liking--adjusting the left and right margins to "pad" the inside of the subform--and then adding a border. Then it will grow, close itself at the bottom of each page and start a new flowing box on the next page, and close agin when it runs out of content. You could do this with the existing subforms like the one wrapping the questions and end up with a visible wrapping border around the group of questions.

Lastly, I added the page numbering (Use the Sheet # of # from the Custom Library and change the word Sheet to Page), and formatted all of the text fields so the inputting will look right. And, I named all of the objects--a good habit to be in--since forms can get big and it makes locating objects (and scripting) much easier.

With your other forms, compare how I have done things with this one and go from there. I think you may have been making things a little more complicated than they need to be. I know how you feel--I was lost at the beginning. There really aren't any classes that I've found. But I'm probably past needing a class now--and you will be too. Keep at it.

Good luck,

Stephen

One more thing--another good habit is to name the file without spaces--like I have. If your going to be putting this on a server, you will avoid issues caused by spaces in file names.

S.

Level 3

Once again, thanks very much for your help (and encouragement).  It works beautifully!