Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Flatten a PDF files when you press the submitt button

Level 1

I have found various answers to my question but never one that really hits on what I want to accomplish.  I have a form that I am creating in Adobe pro 9 and when you insert the submit button everything works just great.  But the receiver of the form could accidently alter the filled in form because it is not a flattened pdf file.  I need to eliminate this possibility by flattening the pdf file and then having it emailed to the end user.  I have seen different posts that this can be accomplished with the LiveCycle Enterprise Suite but we do not have the luxury of getting this product.  Having Adobe Pro itself is an accomplishment.

I have seen other posts that it could be accomplished with a javascript, but nothing that would require no user intervention.

My question is is it possible to place the javascript code in the "Submit" button so it would first create the flattened pdf file and email that file to the end user?  I am no programmer so it can't be that complicated, although I do have some access to our programmers but not many of them are Javascript experts nor are they experts with the Adobe progams available.

Other issues are the ability to be able to pull field names from the form an insert them into the email subject instead of the user having to manually insert the.  For instance the form is for adding or decomissioning of Physical/Virtual servers.  I would like to be able to do the following once the submitt button is clicked.

Take "ServerName" and either the radio button choice of "Promotion" or "Demotion" and place this into the email subject like.  Servername Promotion or Servername Decomission.

It was simple in InfoForms but every user has to have this installed on their workstation in order to fill out a form.  At least with Adobe, all users have the standard version or at least the reader on their workstions, and at least the users filling out the form have the standard version of adobe on their workstations.

Thanks for your help

4 Replies

Level 10

When the user clicks on the Submit button, you can lock all the fields on the form by setting the access property of the top most parent in the Heirarchy to "readOnly".

But when the user opens the file from email attachment, the form should able to preserve its changes done at the time of submit.

There is a setting in the LiveCycle Designer which you can set to preserve the changes you did on the form..

Preserve State.jpg

Here are links to two more discussions on the same which can provide you additional information.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2660420#2660420

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2649425#2649425

Thanks

Srini

Level 1

Setting those options for the forms property do not work.  Upon opening the sent form, the pdf can still be altered.

Level 10

Could you send the form to LiveCycle9@gmail.com so I can have a look at it..

Thanks

Srini

Former Community Member

Hey rweastmanir!

As a simple workaround, I might recommend having a hidden field on your form.  In the preSubmit event (client side), I would set this field to some easily testable value like "1" or "DONE".  Then, you could just add a script to the initialize event of the form's root node that tests the value of that field.  If the value is "1" or "DONE" then set all the fields to "readOnly".

Feel free to shoot me an email if you have any questions!

Josh Boyle

Cardinal Solutions Group

jboyle@cardinalsolutions.com