Expand my Community achievements bar.

European Pi embedding font issue

Level 2

Hi:

I am using a liscensed copy of the European P1 font in LiveCycle Designer 8.2.  Windows XP SP 3  Acrobat 9.4.1

When I generate the Pdf as Adobe dynamic XML form (PDF) I recieve the followign warning in LC Designer and the fornt is not embedded in the resulting PDF.

Font license for EuropeanPi-Three does not permit embedding.  Font will be referenced.
Font license for EuropeanPi-Four does not permit embedding.  Font will be referenced.
Font license for EuropeanPi-Two does not permit embedding.  Font will be referenced.
Font license for EuropeanPi-One does not permit embedding.  Font will be referenced.

When I convert a word document through Adobe PDF Maker the font is embedded fine.

If I create a document through PDF printer the font is embedded fine.

Even if I use Adobe Illustrator or InDesign the font is embedded in the PDF output.  (Acrobat 9/LC Designer installed as part of the suite but I have the same issue on a stand alone install of Acrobat 9/LCD 8.2)  It is only through LC Designer that I have a problem embedding the font.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thank you,

4 Replies

Level 10

Hi,

I keep losing track of the threads on this topic, but in any case the main issue is the type of embedding licence that the font has. If you go to the site where you purchased the font or any of the larger vendors then they will set out the various licenses. For example some fonts cannot be embedded, other can be embedded but not edited (basically this is what is happening when you create a native/static PDF from Word, InDesign etc.), and then fonts that have a editable embedding license.

Because by the very nature of the PDF form, where the user can edit the values (eg input data), LC Designer looks for fonts that have the editable embedding license. If the font does not have these rights then it can't embed them.

Hope that makes sense.

Niall

Level 2

Hi Niall:

Thank you for the information but the fonts are part of the Adobe Fonts package and we have the license for it. We never had an issue using the font in Acrobat only LC Designer. We use the font only on static text not for fillable fields in designer.

Shouldn't it work if we are using it as static text only?

Do we need a new version of the font for it to be embeddable in LC Designer?

Thank you,

David Chamberlin

Level 10

Hi David,

I am sure you have the licence, it just depends on the type of the licence.

From what I see there are three:

1. Fonts that don't permit embedding.
  2. Fonts that permit embedding, but only for "Print and Preview", eg not editting.
  3. Fonts that permit embedding for editing.

Looking at the Help file for LC Designer ES2, there appears to be a slight difference between static PDF forms and dynamic XML forms:

The level of embedding that is allowed is set by the font provider and not any setting in LC Designer.

I suspect that the Pi font has print and preview embedding. This would worked perfectly in programs like Word and InDesign when you are creating native PDFs.

If you talk to your font supplier, you need to ask for a "embedding for edit" licence.

Hope that helps,

Niall

Level 2

Thanks Niall:

That seems to be what is happening.

David Chamberlin

IT Developer

Technical Development and Support Section | Section du développement et du soutien technique

Electronic and Print Media Directorate | Direction des médias électroniques et imprimés

Public Affairs Branch | Direction générale des affaires publiques

Canada Revenue Agency | Agence du revenu du Canada

david.chamberlin@cra-arc.gc.ca

Telephone | Téléphone: 613-960-5430