Expand my Community achievements bar.

Edit Form problem

Level 1

Hi,

I tried to edit the form designed by previous developer in Livecycle Designer. After opening the document there is message box '... opening the form will remove the usage rights ...' , so I just still open it.

Then when i save it again under different name (new file) and open it with Adobe Reader, the dropdown in the form now empty. Before opening the document and save it, there was a long list of product names in the dropdown. Why is it now empty although i didn't do anything, just save it under different file name?

I knew that previous developer seems to use xml fille to populate the dropdown, so no matter where we move the file, as long as we dont edit anything in livecycle designer, the dropdown will still working.

Any idea?

Trims

6 Replies

Level 4

It's hard to say, but I'd suggest that you seperate the operations to make diagnosis easier.

1) Open your form in Acrobat and say "save as a copy" which will remove the reader extensions from the form.  See how if behaves then.

2) Then try opening it in designer to change the form.

Part of the issue may be how the values of the dropdown list are being populated, but that's a bit past my skill set to diagnose with the information you've given.

Level 1

Hi,

Thank you for the feedback. When i try to save as copy as you did mention, in my adobe livecycle designer ES2 v9, there was only Save and Save as, no save as copy. Does 'Save As' has the same effect with 'Save as copy'?

When i did save as, the dropdown was empty.

The problem is we don't know how the prev developer populate the dropdown. We only know he use xml sheet, and embed that xml in the form, I think so, because no matter where we move the file, the dropdown values still there.

Is that possible to build again the xml sheet if we have the product list in csv? If so, may you let me know how, or point me to the right direction?

Thank you.

Level 4

I slightly mispelled and may have been misunderstood.  The function to remove the reader extensions is actually "Save a Copy" (I mispoke on the "as').  It is also in Acrobt 9 or X, not Designer.

But someone else will need to tackle the prepopulated data issue.

Former Community Member

One of the first things that I'd check on your form is whether or not it is connected to any web services. If you remove Reader Extensions from the form then this disables the ability of the form to call out to an external webservice and if there is an error, the rest of the script populating the dropdown (if not caught) will not run either.

Is this a public facing form?

Level 1

Hi,

Thank for all the guide has been made so far.

I have do several testing and found following :

- The PDF form doesnt use any web service, as when i open the form in computer without internet, the dropdown still show data.

- I tried the suggestion to open the form with acrobat pro and save a copy under diferent filename, and it does remove the reader extension. I knew this coz when i open the copy in livecycle designer, there is no more message box saying 'open this will remove usage right'. If we open the this copy in adobe reader, the dropdown does showing data.  So, i tried to open this copy in livecycle designer, and save it both (under the same file and under different file name). Then i open the file again, both way the dropdown no longer show any data.  As note, in livecycle designer, I didn't even touch anything.

I have uploaded the pdf form, in case you are interested to check it out. http://cl.ly/0n3Q3J1q0L1f2E1L0r2Y

And thank again for the help.

Level 7

You can populate a drop down list from your clipboard so if you have all the details in a CSV then you would just need to copy it and then under Object > Field > List Items just click the clipboard icon and it will paste all the things on your clipboard to the list.