Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Drop down filling short cuts

Level 2

Hello,

I am building a form with drop down boxes. These are ued to answer questions with Yes, No and N/A. I would like the end user to be able to tab to the next drop down and type either a number or a letter as a shortcut to fill out the boxes (vs. having to click). For example type in 1 for yes, 2 for no, 3 for N/A...

Can I do that and how?

Thank you,

Caroline

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

Yes you can.

Here's how.

1) Allow custom text entry on the drop-down list.

p2.png

2) On the binding tab, select 'Specify Item Values'. By default when you click 'Specify Item Values' Designer will add values starting with 1. Since I added the List Items in the order 'Yes', 'No', 'N/A' they are assigned 1, 2, 3.

p3.png

Now a user can enter a value into the field and the respective text value will appear. For example, enter '1' and 'Yes' appears.

Probably a good idea to add some validation to each drop-down so only 1, 2, or 3 can be entered. For example....

// form1.page1.subform1.q1::exit - (JavaScript, client)

if (!(this.rawValue == 1 || this.rawValue == 2 || this.rawValue == 3)) {

xfa.host.messageBox("The answer must be 1 - Yes, 2 - No, or 3 - N/A");

}

Steve

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

Yes you can.

Here's how.

1) Allow custom text entry on the drop-down list.

p2.png

2) On the binding tab, select 'Specify Item Values'. By default when you click 'Specify Item Values' Designer will add values starting with 1. Since I added the List Items in the order 'Yes', 'No', 'N/A' they are assigned 1, 2, 3.

p3.png

Now a user can enter a value into the field and the respective text value will appear. For example, enter '1' and 'Yes' appears.

Probably a good idea to add some validation to each drop-down so only 1, 2, or 3 can be entered. For example....

}

Steve

Level 2

Awesome, thank you!

I'm not familiar with the validation process/script. Would I be pasting this code somewhere and where?

Thanks!

Caroline

Former Community Member

Caroline,

Script can be applied to an event on an field through the Script Editor.

1) Go to the Script Editor. If the Script Editor is not visible it can by toggled on through the toolbar Window > Script Editor or Shift + Ctrl + F5.

2) Highlight the field you want the script applied to, in this case 'q1'.

3) Since we want the validation script applied to the exit event (meaning the script will fire when focus leaves the field), open the 'Show' drop-down and select the 'exit' event.

4) Designer supports scripting in JavaScript and FormCalc. Since the script being applied is JavaScript make sure the Language selected is JavaScript. This may or may not be your default scripting language.

5) Since we want the script to execute on the client make sure Run At is set to Client. This may or may not be your default execution setting.

6) Add the script.

p2.png

Steve

Level 2

Thank you. It works, if I enter 6 for example I get the error message; however, my "6" stays in the box when I close the message and tab out. Is this supposed to happen?

Former Community Member

Yes.

You can amend the script to remove the value entered using this.rawValue = "";

this.rawValue = "";

}

Level 2

Perfect, thanks so much for your help!

Caroline

The following has evaluated to null or missing: ==> liqladmin("SELECT id, value FROM metrics WHERE id = 'net_accepted_solutions' and user.id = '${acceptedAnswer.author.id}'").data.items [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 41] ---- Tip: It's the step after the last dot that caused this error, not those before it. ---- Tip: If the failing expression is known to be legally refer to something that's sometimes null or missing, either specify a default value like myOptionalVar!myDefault, or use <#if myOptionalVar??>when-present<#else>when-missing. (These only cover the last step of the expression; to cover the whole expression, use parenthesis: (myOptionalVar.foo)!myDefault, (myOptionalVar.foo)?? ---- ---- FTL stack trace ("~" means nesting-related): - Failed at: #assign answerAuthorNetSolutions = li... [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 5] ----