Expand my Community achievements bar.

Drop down box validation again

Level 4

Hi All

I have a drop down list that you can either choose to enter your own text or choose from a list.  I was trying to write some validation to ensure that it only accepted numbers of a certain length (i.e it was for years e.g 2009).  Following on from my previous post I am now thinking that it maybe easier to check the text entry against the list I have already input into the drop down.  If the text entry does not equal one in the list then a message is flagged to the user.

Does anyone know how I can do this?

Thanks in advance.

Darren

2 Replies

Former Community Member

Suppose I have a text field called 'name' and a drop-down list called 'stooges', I can do this...

// form1.page1.subform1.name::exit - (JavaScript, client)

var name_ = form1.page1.subform1.name.rawValue;

name_ = name_.toLowerCase();

for (var i=0; i < form1.page1.subform1.stooges.length;i++) {

var list_name = form1.page1.subform1.stooges.getDisplayItem(i);

list_name = list_name.toLowerCase();

if (name_ == list_name) {

xfa.host.messageBox("Sorry. " + form1.page1.subform1.name.rawValue + " is already a Stooge.");

}

}

Steve

Level 4

Hi Steve

This is nearly what I was after, but not quite.  I have tried to adapt your code but cant get it to work and it keeps throwing up the message box every time I enter something now.  I basically want to compare the rawvalue entered into the drop down list by the user with the entries I had put into it.  So if the user enters the year '2010' and I have input a list containing the years '1980' to '2009' it will flag up an error.  I hope this makes sense.

Thanking you in advance.

Darren