Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Dictionary?

Level 4

Hi,

I use english for my forms.

I have a custom dictionary and a hyphenation dictionary, nothing else. I did a complete install initially.

I would have thought livecycle ships with a dictionary in the same way office does?

Anyone know where  this lives/how to find and install.

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

Hi,

I'm the LiveCycle Designer developer who implemented the spell checking functionality in Designer.  I can give you some answers and some help.

How to Find:

Designer does ship with dictionaries (I'm not certain if it's the same as Word though.)  They can be found in the Designer installation directory (i.e. C:\Program Files\Adobe\...\Designer) under the \Linguistics folder.  The dictionaries themselves are under \Linguistics\Providers\Proximity\xx; I believe they are the .lex files.

How to Install:

Designer supports custom dictionaries the in *.clam format.  In order to produce *.clam files you need special command line tools from Proximity (the dictionary provider, which I believe is a division of Franklin) that transforms a text file (that is basically a flat list of words) into a *.clam file.  We can't distribute the Proximity tools; also, these tools are more intended to support custom dictionaries of technical terms and the like.  So I don't know that I would pursue this avenue if what you need is spell checking in a different locale.

There is a slightly better solution to this problem than the one that Niall came up with, one that will not affect his currency symbols and other locale specific data.  In order to solve exactly this problem, Designer has "locale mapping" functionality.  Basically, there's a configuration file that tells Designer to use alternate locales for spell check operations.  There's a blog post about it on the Designer blog that gives detailed instructions on how to map locales:

Spell Check Locale Mapping

In Niall's case, the entry in the XML file would be:

<Map locale="en_IE" to="en_GB"/>

Which basically says "use the English GB dictionary to spell check anything that's marked English Ireland".

Hmmmm...  I'm not 100% certain about this functionality.  However, one thing that may be the problem is that we no longer load installed dictionary content from \Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Linguistics.  (Custom dictionaries are still found in this location though.)  If you are using a newer version of Designer (> 8.0, I believe)  I would try copying the Ireland *.lex file into C:\Program Files\Adobe\...\Designer\Linguistics\Providers\Proximity\xx (you'll know you're in the correct folder if there's other *.lex files in there.)  It could work, but it might not.  Since the dictionaries are provided by a third party, I'm not privy to exactly how the *.lex files are loaded into the program.  There may also be versioning issues: I know that there have been some changes to certain dictionary file formats to support Unicode...  If you try this and it doesn't work, re-post to this thread: I may be able to help further, but I'll need the *.lex file to run some tests locally.

Hope some of this info helps.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Level 10

Hi,

For what it is worth, if I set the form locale to "English (Ireland)", I get a warning that the spell checker is not supported in this locale.

04-09-2009 12-19-53.png

I know that in the current version not all locales support spell checking. I think the new version will address this.

My solution is to change the locale for the form to "English (United Kingdon)", which supports the spell checker, but throws the currency to "£" instead of "€".  When I need a currency field, instead of using a currency data pattern I use num{'€ 'z,zzz,zz9.zz}, which gets over that problem.

Good luck,

Niall

Former Community Member

In the Tools/Options/Spelling there are dictionary options that show you what is loaded as well as allowing you to add new ones.

Paul

Level 10

Thanks Paul,

I have tried and can't get it to work. LC is looking for.CLAM files, which I can't find any information on. The help file also suggests manually placing .LEX files into the \Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Linguistics\Providers\Proximity sub-folder, which I have tried (copying MS Office .LEX files), but still can't get LC to support "English (Ireland)".

Do you have any further info on the .CLAM file and how to generate these?

Thanks,

Niall

Level 4

Im in the same boat; tried using MS office .lex and no go.

And given my awful spelling it's a bit of an issue

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

Hi,

I'm the LiveCycle Designer developer who implemented the spell checking functionality in Designer.  I can give you some answers and some help.

How to Find:

Designer does ship with dictionaries (I'm not certain if it's the same as Word though.)  They can be found in the Designer installation directory (i.e. C:\Program Files\Adobe\...\Designer) under the \Linguistics folder.  The dictionaries themselves are under \Linguistics\Providers\Proximity\xx; I believe they are the .lex files.

How to Install:

Designer supports custom dictionaries the in *.clam format.  In order to produce *.clam files you need special command line tools from Proximity (the dictionary provider, which I believe is a division of Franklin) that transforms a text file (that is basically a flat list of words) into a *.clam file.  We can't distribute the Proximity tools; also, these tools are more intended to support custom dictionaries of technical terms and the like.  So I don't know that I would pursue this avenue if what you need is spell checking in a different locale.

There is a slightly better solution to this problem than the one that Niall came up with, one that will not affect his currency symbols and other locale specific data.  In order to solve exactly this problem, Designer has "locale mapping" functionality.  Basically, there's a configuration file that tells Designer to use alternate locales for spell check operations.  There's a blog post about it on the Designer blog that gives detailed instructions on how to map locales:

Spell Check Locale Mapping

In Niall's case, the entry in the XML file would be:

Which basically says "use the English GB dictionary to spell check anything that's marked English Ireland".

Hmmmm...  I'm not 100% certain about this functionality.  However, one thing that may be the problem is that we no longer load installed dictionary content from \Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Linguistics.  (Custom dictionaries are still found in this location though.)  If you are using a newer version of Designer (> 8.0, I believe)  I would try copying the Ireland *.lex file into C:\Program Files\Adobe\...\Designer\Linguistics\Providers\Proximity\xx (you'll know you're in the correct folder if there's other *.lex files in there.)  It could work, but it might not.  Since the dictionaries are provided by a third party, I'm not privy to exactly how the *.lex files are loaded into the program.  There may also be versioning issues: I know that there have been some changes to certain dictionary file formats to support Unicode...  If you try this and it doesn't work, re-post to this thread: I may be able to help further, but I'll need the *.lex file to run some tests locally.

Hope some of this info helps.

Level 10

Thanks Stephanie,

Changing the locale mapping worked a treat:

<LocaleMap>

<!-- In order to map spell check locales, add an entry for each locale to map:

<Map locale="en_AU" to="en_CA"/>

Where "locale" is a locale which does not support spell check and "to" is the locale

that will be used to perform spell check on nodes who's locale matches "locale".

-->

</LocaleMap>

One for the book!!
Thanks very much,
Niall

Level 4

hey, thanks for that - i now have many little red lines telling me i cant spell ! Better me than my clients seeing them

many thanks

The following has evaluated to null or missing: ==> liqladmin("SELECT id, value FROM metrics WHERE id = 'net_accepted_solutions' and user.id = '${acceptedAnswer.author.id}'").data.items [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 41] ---- Tip: It's the step after the last dot that caused this error, not those before it. ---- Tip: If the failing expression is known to be legally refer to something that's sometimes null or missing, either specify a default value like myOptionalVar!myDefault, or use <#if myOptionalVar??>when-present<#else>when-missing. (These only cover the last step of the expression; to cover the whole expression, use parenthesis: (myOptionalVar.foo)!myDefault, (myOptionalVar.foo)?? ---- ---- FTL stack trace ("~" means nesting-related): - Failed at: #assign answerAuthorNetSolutions = li... [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 5] ----