Expand my Community achievements bar.

Database Connections

Level 1

We are using Lifecycle Designer ES 8.2. and developing and off line interactive form for Student users to get Admissions data from an SIS Database. We have the form working with a data connection to an Access DB on a local machine so that great. What we want to accomplish is for the form to access the database from another machine or even outside the network.

We can't seem to create a workable connection string. Can anyone give us some pointers?

thanks for the help.

9 Replies

Former Community Member

You will have to set up a DSN on each of the machines that will access the DB. The machines must be on the same network as the database.

Paul

Level 1

Can the machines be on the Parent Domain, and if I want the functionality to work outside the network what type of development are we looking at?

Level 2

I have the same question.  Did you find the answer or another solution?

Former Community Member

The machine name must be reachable through the network ...i.e. if you can map a drive to it then you shoudl be able to get a DSN connection. If you are outside of the domain then you can either centralize the DB connection (speak to the DB through an intermeadiary program) or expose the DB through Web Service calls (these calls do use IP).

Paul

Level 2

First of all, I think that I need to kill one of my threads in the forums as I have touched a few conversations that are encapsulating my project.  Sorry, if this is found elsewhere.

How do I centralize the db connection?  You refer to an intermediary program, such as what?

DO you have any examples of exposing the DB through Web Service calls?

Level 1

I to have not resolved my issue I am now getting a 504 error and cant seem to get the environments to trust

Level 2

What DB are you using?  I'm using SQL Server 2005 and in another forum they told me that I could create a WSDL.  It's unchartered waters for me.

Level 1

I have actually tried it with 2 DB's once with an access DB and once with an SQL DB and both times it would not write to the DB, with access I was not able to get the trust correct just as with the SQL currently.

Level 2

I'm struggling with the WSDL.  I better find another forum for that unless you could shed some light on how to setup a WSDL.