Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Data in instances not being saved

Level 1

I'm currently using Adobe LiveCycle Designer 8.0 to create Dynamic PDF files.  I'm saving them in "Adobe 8 Dynamic XML Form" format, I've set "Preserver scripting changes to form when saved" to "Automatic" and the binding on all of my forms/textfields is set to "Normal." 

When I open my PDF in Acrobat Acrobat 8 Professional, and I use my scripted buttons to add new instances of forms/tablerows/etc. I find that the status of any instantiated forms are not retained, and any fields with completed inside them are blank when I save the form and reopen it.  Textfields filled and radio buttons marked in non-instance forms retain their data, but anything that I've entered into forms created using _MyForm.addInstance(true) fail to save their data when the PDF is saved.

Can anyone please advise me?  Please be aware that the versions of the software I'm using are set in stone, and not something that can be upgraded as a solution to the problem.  Thank you for any help you can give!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

It sounds like the opposite case of this thread here:

http://answers.acrobatusers.com/js-delete-rows-saved-q105709.aspx

allan, there, may be working with a newer version of Acrobat which retains changes. However, allan might have forgotten to set "Preserve scripting changes to form when saved".

Also consider this case: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/868373

meem23 was working with a version of LiveCycle with no "Preserve scripting changes to form when saved" option.

However, your case is even more mysterious because Adobe LiveCycle Designer 8 and Acrobat Professional 8 should have come together meaning that LiveCycle was part of Acrobat Professional at the time of that release. And you can set the "Preserve scripting changes to form when saved" option.

If you don't find any solutions, you can try this workaround: set the "Preserve scripting changes to form when saved" option to "Manually" and script the preSave or formReady event. So, for example, set instanceManager count, max, min before leaving the form. Put data entered into dynamic fields into hidden static fields. Reload them when reopening the form.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

It sounds like the opposite case of this thread here:

http://answers.acrobatusers.com/js-delete-rows-saved-q105709.aspx

allan, there, may be working with a newer version of Acrobat which retains changes. However, allan might have forgotten to set "Preserve scripting changes to form when saved".

Also consider this case: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/868373

meem23 was working with a version of LiveCycle with no "Preserve scripting changes to form when saved" option.

However, your case is even more mysterious because Adobe LiveCycle Designer 8 and Acrobat Professional 8 should have come together meaning that LiveCycle was part of Acrobat Professional at the time of that release. And you can set the "Preserve scripting changes to form when saved" option.

If you don't find any solutions, you can try this workaround: set the "Preserve scripting changes to form when saved" option to "Manually" and script the preSave or formReady event. So, for example, set instanceManager count, max, min before leaving the form. Put data entered into dynamic fields into hidden static fields. Reload them when reopening the form.

Former Community Member

Another thought...

To me, you should investigate your data connection. How is it made exactly?

Acrobat has a feature for this: under Forms | Other options | Manage data, you can import dynamic fields data into the form. Once saved in Acrobat, your form will contain all data needed to dynamically fill out the fields.

However, this may be useful only with some data connections. I guess that if you are connected to a database, this is not the way to follow.

Level 1

Thank you very much, MrFale67.  I fixed this problem by setting the "Preserver scripting changes to form when saved" to "Manually" and then clicked OK, then saved the PDF, then went back into Properties and changed it back to "Automatically" after which it started working as expected.  I'm not sure how/when the setting got out of sync with the display, but changing it then back again seems to have fixed it. Thank you for your assistance!

The following has evaluated to null or missing: ==> liqladmin("SELECT id, value FROM metrics WHERE id = 'net_accepted_solutions' and user.id = '${acceptedAnswer.author.id}'").data.items [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 41] ---- Tip: It's the step after the last dot that caused this error, not those before it. ---- Tip: If the failing expression is known to be legally refer to something that's sometimes null or missing, either specify a default value like myOptionalVar!myDefault, or use <#if myOptionalVar??>when-present<#else>when-missing. (These only cover the last step of the expression; to cover the whole expression, use parenthesis: (myOptionalVar.foo)!myDefault, (myOptionalVar.foo)?? ---- ---- FTL stack trace ("~" means nesting-related): - Failed at: #assign answerAuthorNetSolutions = li... [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 5] ----