Expand my Community achievements bar.

Radically easy to access on brand approved content for distribution and omnichannel performant delivery. AEM Assets Content Hub and Dynamic Media with OpenAPI capabilities is now GA.
SOLVED

Custom Text .vs. Tool Tip

Former Community Member

I don't quite understand the Accessibility tab.

If I enter "abc" into the "Tool Tip" box, and "xyz" into the "Custom Text" box,

and set the precedece to "Custom Text",

then,

when I hover the mouse over the field, it pops up "xyz".

If I select "Tool Tip" as the Precedence, of course it pops up "abc".

So, why do you need two boxes? (a Custom Text box and a Tool Tip box)

If it's always going to displaly the string as specified in the "precedence", what's the other string for?

another question is:

I don't have a Screen Reader, so I can't test this myself,

but suppose I enter something into the Tool Tip box, while leaving the Custom Text box empty,

and select the "Custom Text" as the Screen Reader precedence,

will the Screen Reader read the Tool Tip?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

Yes but for backwards compatibility as well as clarity for people who do not use accessibility(before the Custom Text existsed) it was left in.

Paul

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Former Community Member

The CustomText is used with the screen Reader. If you do not set a Custom Text but have a tooltip then the tooltip is used ....if neither is filled then the field label is used. and lastly if none of those exist the field name is used. Havingthe two fields allows you to have Custom Text for only some off the fields and does not force you to use it for all fields.

Hoep that helps

Paul

Former Community Member

If I have "abc" in the Tool Tip field, and nothing in the Custom Text field, and select "Custom Text" as the precedence; when I hover the mouse over it, it displays "abc".

So you are saying that the Screen Reader behaves the same way as the mouse?  It's good.  I just want a confirmation.

I still don't understand why you need to have 2 fields (Tool Tip & Custom Text).

Because whatever you do with those 2 fields and the Precedence, you can very well accomplish the same thing with only 1 field.  Is it not?

am I missing something?

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

Yes but for backwards compatibility as well as clarity for people who do not use accessibility(before the Custom Text existsed) it was left in.

Paul

Former Community Member

I never knew that Adobe cares about backward compatibility.     sorry, just joking. 

Actually, I think it would be better if LiveCycle could make use of both the Tool Tip and Custom Text fields.

That is, use the text in the Tool Tip field for the screen/mouse, while use the text in the Custom Text field for the Screen Reader.

And if the field is empty, use the string in the other, or follow some precedence rules.

That way, I can have two different strings for two different environments.

Because some texts that make sense on screen might not make complete sense when the screen reader reads it, I think.

Just a suggestion.

Former Community Member

Sounds logical to me … not sure if that would cause some sort of compatibility issue or not …..we can put it in as an enhancement.

paul

The following has evaluated to null or missing: ==> liqladmin("SELECT id, value FROM metrics WHERE id = 'net_accepted_solutions' and user.id = '${acceptedAnswer.author.id}'").data.items [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 41] ---- Tip: It's the step after the last dot that caused this error, not those before it. ---- Tip: If the failing expression is known to be legally refer to something that's sometimes null or missing, either specify a default value like myOptionalVar!myDefault, or use <#if myOptionalVar??>when-present<#else>when-missing. (These only cover the last step of the expression; to cover the whole expression, use parenthesis: (myOptionalVar.foo)!myDefault, (myOptionalVar.foo)?? ---- ---- FTL stack trace ("~" means nesting-related): - Failed at: #assign answerAuthorNetSolutions = li... [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 5] ----