Expand my Community achievements bar.

CSigDict - 1938 error?

Former Community Member

Some of the forms are giving my end-users a strange error, saying

"Creation of this signature could not be completed, Unknown Error,

Support Information: CSigDict - 1938".

An HFT message then follows, saying the file is already open or in use by another application; however, I know this is not the case.  Unfortunately, once this error is shown, the file becomes permanently corrupted and I cannot remove the signature.  Sometimes the signature will show on the document just fine (even if it is corrupted, it looks fine on the screen), and sometimes not.

I can find no reference to this particular error on google.  Any idea what's going on?

Acrobat 9.3, LS 8.2, WinXP.

15 Replies

Level 1

I also am receving this message. I have searched for an aswer for months but have not found the solution.

Level 7

What type of signature are you using? What did you use to create the form? When does this happen? Can you provide a sample?

Level 1

Signature is being created from a signature pad e-pad. One form comes from

the federal government HUD. Another form was scanned to our PCs and then

saved in Adobe Acrobat Pro version 9. It happens mostly when there is a

second signature required. Generally the first signature does not produce

the same error. The forms are protected by HIPAA rules.

Level 7

After the first signature is applied is there any locking, or scripts you are performing on the form? Are you doing anything in between the first and second signing? Can you reproduce the problem by signing with Adobe Self Sign?

Former Community Member

Details of what I used are above (Acrobat 9.3, LS 8.2 on WinXP).  The file inevitably gets "damaged beyond repair (file can't be saved, etc)".  I have a link to a sample file where this happened, but it's damaged and can't be saved...

\https://acrobat.com/#d=LStBCdKFNX9ygPZ7OhauGw

Level 1

There is no locking but we are running a script for the date to auto

populate the date field. Generally the first and second signing takes place

at the same sitting. We have not tried the Adobe Self Sign but I will look

into that.

Level 7

I cannot access the file you referenced. I am curious to see if the same error occurs with Adobe Self Sign. I am curious to see if maybe it is the API for the ePad. Which ePad technology are you using?

Level 1

That is where I am focusing right now. I think possibly when the workstation

goes in power save mode or the user locks, the connection between the

signature pad and Adobe is being broken.

Level 1

I get this error too, when using Adobe Acrobat Pro 9. It occurs when I attempt to add an electronic signature to a PDF. It occurs about 80% of the time. I have no idea why it sometimes works, and most of the time doesn't. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Level 1

this occurs when something else is using your signature file. i disabled dropbox and it worked, so i assume dropbox was doing something funky. disable any syncing programs and try again

Former Community Member

Same issue here.  Seems only to happen to documents I've collated as a "Portfolio".  If I extract the page that requires signing (Page 1 in my case), then they seem to be able to sign it.  this is VERY frustrating as I spent a long time developing a multipage form, and the distribution method for review and signoff using a hyperlink, it worked fine for ages, now for the past month it's been a major pain... 

Level 1

I just created An account only to answer to this Thread. I CAN CONFIRM that once Dropbox was DISABLED I could immediately sign documents. Thanks a lot to problem_sOlv3r for assisting on this. THIS WORKS WITH ERROR 1919 TOO!!!!!!! I hope this helped!

Former Community Member

I've ended up "printing to Adobe", compiling all the pages and adding signature boxes again for each multi-page document that I'm managing.  It's not ideal, but it works and everyone is very relieved that they don't have to go through the frustration of many failed signing attempts.  Also makes for a smaller file.  Now if there was a way to find out who has the document open?  Some people open it, and walk away leaving it open.  When I send it out, it's usually to the same 6 people for review and sign off (some variables on signatures).  It would be nice to be able to know WHO has it open...

Level 1

Using Acrobat 9 Pro, I repeatedly encountered the dreaded CSigDict-1919 error when trying to sign a document and it was driving me crazy..  PROBLEM SOLVED thanks to this forum.

SOLUTION:  Since the problem occurred because of a conflict with Dropbox, I avoid it by saving the document out of Dropbox to my Desktop, signing it there, and then saving it back in Dropbox.  Works like a charm every time.

Whew -- what a relief it is.  LOL

Level 1

Thanks to you (and as jfmullen did) I saved in the Desktop and it worked, thanks!