Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

creating small groups (like private chat) within a room

Former Community Member

hi there, i just have some set of questions and clarifications

1. by default, only owners can create groups right? (when i say groups i mean the one you set by doing audioPublisher.groupName), is there a way to enable the publisher to make groups as well?

2. what is the better way for private chatting within a room (private chat for about 10-20 people within a room, more like a group)... i'm thinking to use the ability to set publisherIDs for audioSubscriber, but is there an advantage in using the audioPublisher.groupName, other than you do not have to specify all userIDs of the person that you want to subscribe to?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

Nope, no set limit. We do ask that you clean up old rooms if they're not

needed (saves us space). In a few weeks (fingers crossed!), we're rolling

out a new feature which will allow you to create rooms that are cleaned up

automatically when no longer used.

nigel

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Former Community Member

Hi there,

1) Yep - only owners can create groups. Unfortunately, there's no way to

make this "less" secure. It's one of the reasons we've tended to deprecate

the use of groups - it's great for when you need an absolutely secure

environment, but carries the challenge of needing a moderator in the room.

2) A bunch of little questions :

a) Is your chat audio/video?

b) How many people are in the room "at large" vs in these private groups?

c) How many groups do you envision?

d) Any overlap between group membership?

There are 3 approaches other than groups that can make sense:

i) audioSubscriber.publisherIDs

ii) audioPublisher.recipientIDs

iii) create new rooms for your private groups

let us know more about your use case and we'll discuss further.

thanks

nigel

Former Community Member

Hi there, first of all, thank you for replying,

a) Is your chat audio/video?

we intend to use LCCS for audio conference only

b) How many people are in the room "at large" vs in these private groups?

i can't really give a range but idea is we will typically have a "room" for a meeting group, i'm just thinking what would be better, either a room per meeting, or a group per meeting. i mean there will be no overlapping of groupings since these will be all guests accounts.

Right now, i'm more inclined to using a room for each meeting since if it will be done by groups then what if we make groups within a room and then suddenly our room got maxed out (5000 users), then we need to add another member for a group but we cannot add it anymore since the room is already maxed out. As far as i know now, there is a max of 5000 users per room, but is there a maximum number of rooms allowed to be created per account?

You also mentioned that "it's great for when you need an absolutely secureenvironment", pertaining to groups, i supposed that room separation also possesses the same absolute security right?

Another thing you mentioned is that "carries the challenge of needing a moderator in the room.", pertaining to groups again, is this because of the fact that you would have to create a group using an owner account? perhaps same thing as when creating a room using an owner account. But i mean once the group/room is created then any publisher can easily publish in that room/group right?

Right now, i'm just using the  audioSubscriber.publisherIDs to sort of separate the users of a room but then again, it would be harder to monitor once there is a lot of users within a room

Former Community Member

Hi There,

Yup, I think you're on the right track - I was going to give the same

advice. As long as you're gating access via external auth, your rooms are

totally secure.

nigel

Former Community Member

hi, thank you for your answer =) just a confirmation... so there is really no limits on the room you can create per account?

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

Nope, no set limit. We do ask that you clean up old rooms if they're not

needed (saves us space). In a few weeks (fingers crossed!), we're rolling

out a new feature which will allow you to create rooms that are cleaned up

automatically when no longer used.

nigel

The following has evaluated to null or missing: ==> liqladmin("SELECT id, value FROM metrics WHERE id = 'net_accepted_solutions' and user.id = '${acceptedAnswer.author.id}'").data.items [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 41] ---- Tip: It's the step after the last dot that caused this error, not those before it. ---- Tip: If the failing expression is known to be legally refer to something that's sometimes null or missing, either specify a default value like myOptionalVar!myDefault, or use <#if myOptionalVar??>when-present<#else>when-missing. (These only cover the last step of the expression; to cover the whole expression, use parenthesis: (myOptionalVar.foo)!myDefault, (myOptionalVar.foo)?? ---- ---- FTL stack trace ("~" means nesting-related): - Failed at: #assign answerAuthorNetSolutions = li... [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 5] ----