Expand my Community achievements bar.

creating error messages

Former Community Member

hello,

i am trying to figure out how to create custom messages so that if required fields are not filled in and the user tries submitting the document a message for each missing field appears. Right now there is just a generic message that comes up, and im unsure how to even change the generic message. if anyone can offer any help/suggestions i would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Nik

10 Replies

Former Community Member

On the Value tab of the field there is a coupel of places for you to add Validation messages (depending on how you are doing your validation).

If you are using a Pattern then there is a box for that, if you are using your own script then there is a separate message box for that.

In version 9 of Designer features were added to allow all validation messages to be consolidated into a single message box. This can be set from thsi area or you can go into the File/Form Properties/Form Validation tab and set it there.

Hope that helps

Paul

Former Community Member

i have entered messages when there are patterns. if the user makes an error, when they tab out of the field the error message appears. however when hitting submit only the generic message shows-not the custom message i have entered. i ave version 8- i went to file and form properties but there isnt a validation option.

Former Community Member

The consolidated validation was added in version 9.

Which generic message is appearing ...the one for the pattern violation?

Paul

Former Community Member

the message reads "Atleast one required field was empty on export. Please fill in required fields (highlighted) before continuing.

Former Community Member

Thats the default message for the rquired field message (thats the one I didn't think you woudl be able to override).

Paul

Former Community Member

so there is no way to override this message? is it still possible to have a message come up for each field that is missing or have errors?

Former Community Member

You will get a single error but all fields that are in violation will have a red border around them.

Paul

Former Community Member

that sucks. well thank you very much for your help!

Former Community Member

one more question-if i had version 9 would this change anything?

Former Community Member

Yes you coudl get a single box with all messages .....but your users would have to have version 9 of Acrobat/Reader as well.

Paul