Expand my Community achievements bar.

Radically easy to access on brand approved content for distribution and omnichannel performant delivery. AEM Assets Content Hub and Dynamic Media with OpenAPI capabilities is now GA.

Copyright a PDF form?

Level 1

Am I able to copyright a PDF form built in Livecycle and offer it as part of a billing procedure my company can resell to our product vendors? What are my rights as an author of the document?

2 Replies

Level 2

Blank forms are not in general terms protected by copyright law. Even if the form has a lot of design flourishes, it's still considered a tool to collect data.

Some elements of the form may hold copyright in and of themselves, for example:

• a logotype element on the page may have protection via trademark
  • a graphical design element or photograph may have standalone copyright
  • a block of original text used on the form (by way of explanation, etc.) can be considered a copyrightable work in isolation provided it meets the standards to be considered a creative work, but plain statements of fact such as field labels or button tooltips are not.

but the form itself is not a "creative work". The same is true of things like blank diaries, bank checks or sheets of headed notepaper.

Former Community Member

The answer depends a lot on the country you live in and, if different, the county your users reside in. In the end, you will probably need a lawyer to get a reliable answer.