Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Convert PDF created using LiveCycle Designer to PDF viewable in Adobe Reader?

Level 1

Hi,

I had someone create a fillable PDF for me using LiveCycle Designer es4. I was provided with the original or "Master File" as well as a PDF version to be used. This second option was provided so that it could be used on mobile devices such as iPhones. The issue I am having is that I updated the "Master File" using LiveCycle Designer and then saved a separate copy as a PDF. When I go to use this PDF on my iPhone, it is static and not interactive. None of the fillable, drop down menus or submit via email button work.

The person who created the file told me that they "convert & format the LiveCycle version to a final version called an AcroForm". The reason for this is that the AcroForm version allows for use on desktop or mobile devices. How do I replicate doing this?

Lucas

8 Replies

Level 10

An AcroForm is a form created with Adobe Acrobat instead of LiveCycle Designer. It is compatible with Adobe Reader on iOS and Android. But an AcroForm is not dynamic. It's just a static PDF with form fields and scriptings.

Level 1

Hi Radzmar,

Is there a way to create a document using LiveCycle Designer and then save and convert it to an AcroForm PDF?

Sincerely,

Lucas

Level 10

Hi Lucas,

not really except by printing the form created with Designer with the Adobe PDF printer as a new PDF and then editing this PDF with Adobe Acrobat again.

Level 4

I prefer saving the XFA-PDF in Acrobat as PostScript (.ps). Then I create in Acrobat a new Acro-PDF with the PostScript.

Has always worked fine.

Of course all form fields and scripting is lost. You have to add that all over again with Acrobat.

The form layout will change with every change request. Then you change the XDP and produce with the PostScript detour a new Acro-PDF. The good thing is that you can swap individual PDF pages with Acrobat. So fortunately your form fields and scripting are not lost with every change.

That shows clearly: changes to the form are cheaper for your customer with XFA-PDFs. Surface tablets are more costly than iOS or Android - but the form development and change request costs might surmount them.

Level 1

Hi Ulibaehr,

So, I have saved the file from LiveCycle Designer as a PostScript. Then I open the PostScript using Adobe Acrobat DC. Now, how would I add the scripting from the LiveCycle Designer file to this PostScript file? I am not too familiar with difference between PDF files and scripting at all.

Sincerely,

Lucas

Level 4

I'm afraid no.

Acrobat is a completly different ballpark.

You have different classes and objects there and actually not really events.

In case you have a ton of scripting in your XDP you can only hope for Surface tablets or else spend an awful lot of time trying to come close to the old functionality

Level 3

Hey,

i thing u can save your XFA-Form as static and use software like PDFElement to convert it to a Acroforms (Acrobat Forms).

regards

Arthur

Level 1

Peeps! I have solved this: go to Organise pages>Extract> choose all pages, Extract all.  Open the Prepare Form menu and voila! all the fields will be there and ready to use AND you can create new fields. Just remember to save your new file.