Expand my Community achievements bar.

Radically easy to access on brand approved content for distribution and omnichannel performant delivery. AEM Assets Content Hub and Dynamic Media with OpenAPI capabilities is now GA.
SOLVED

Convert date string to date/time object

Level 3

I have a JDBC call to grab some data including a date/time stamp.  For the life of me, I can't figure out how to convert that string to a proper date/time field.  It's important because I need to use validation strings to present a more simplified date/time to users on a form.  But I'd like to keep the original date/time so I can reinsert it into a SQL db at the end.  I created a test process so I can watch the progress.

input string = '2010/08/18 16:41:23'

Expression = parse-dateTime-withFormat (/process_data/@datestring,"yyyy/MM/dd hh:mm:ss","en","US","WIN","CDT")

Result = August 18, 2010 9:41:23 PM GMT

Then I try to put that value into a date field and I get the error:
: Invalid ISO8601 DateTime:August 18, 2010 9:41:23 PM GMT:java.text.ParseException: Unparseable date: "August 18, 2010 9:41:23 PM GMT"

I've tried like 100 different variations to map into a date/time object with the same result.  I can use the parse-dateTime or parse-dateTime-withFormat functions all day long but I can't get that string value into a proper date field.  Any ideas?  Please help as I'm about to pull my hair out ...and that won't be pretty.

(Note:  I realize my time zone didn't come thru correct but I'm not concerned about that right now)

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 2

To solve this problem I am using ExecuteScript activity with code:

import java.util.Date;
import java.text.SimpleDateFormat;

String dateString = patExecContext.getProcessDataStringValue( "/process_data/@input" );

SimpleDateFormat formatter = new SimpleDateFormat("yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss");
Date date = (Date)formatter.parse(dateString);

patExecContext.setProcessDataValue( "/process_data/result", date );

where

input - string process variable with string dates "2010-01-01 23:59:59"

date - date process variable

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Level 10

I think you have to format your date string as 2010-08-22T09:31:23Z  in order to assign it to a DateTime value.

Nith

Level 3

I finally figured that out but the part that throws me is the Z = zulu.  The time I'm pulling in is CDT so why do I want to format to zulu time?

What is interesting is I think I found a bug.  Later on in the process I insert this same data again (initially I retreive the data from a DB and then later insert it back to a different table).  If I use the FormatString function and designate CDT as the timezone, LiveCycle adds 5 hours.  If I retreive the time leaving the "Z" in there, then it returns CDT.  That, to me, is a bug.

The application should be smart enough to know what timezone the server is in and not alter the time if I specify the same timezone.  As such, I have to retreive the date without specifying the timezone and HOPE that CDT will always be correct.

LiveCycle appears to interpret CDT as the same thing as zulu.  So if I want to pull out a time in EST, I can't specify it explicity.  If I do it'll take CST + 4 ...not Zulu + 4 (or GMT +4).  So to compensate, I'd have to take GMT - 1 to get EST.  Even IF I did that, what happens during daylight savings time?

Curious if anybody else has run accross this ...or am I missing something?

Correct answer by
Level 2

To solve this problem I am using ExecuteScript activity with code:

import java.util.Date;
import java.text.SimpleDateFormat;

String dateString = patExecContext.getProcessDataStringValue( "/process_data/@input" );

SimpleDateFormat formatter = new SimpleDateFormat("yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss");
Date date = (Date)formatter.parse(dateString);

patExecContext.setProcessDataValue( "/process_data/result", date );

where

input - string process variable with string dates "2010-01-01 23:59:59"

date - date process variable