Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Content is not shown with acrobat reader

Former Community Member

Hi,

I created a simple form with Livescycle and even if when i look at the PDF with adobe reader, i can see enought privilege, i cannot really save the content.

Basically, i can open the PDF, fill the fields, save the document but when i reopen the document afterward, the content has disapeared. If i look at the same PDF with notepad, i can see the values next to the field but the values are not visible anymore in the reader.

You can download the file from that location :

http://ge.tt/99qsN79?c

I have tried a lot of thing before to take the decision to post a message here but despite my efforts, i am not able to figure out where is the problem.

Thanks in advance for your help....

Regards,

Johnny B

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi Johnny,

If you open the form in Acrobat (not Reader or any third party viewer), then you can test to see if the form is Reader Enabled.

1. Open the form in Acrobat.
  2. Open the JavaScript Console (Control+J).
  3. Paste this into the console and hit Control+Enter to run it: appRightsValidate({}, 2, true);
  4. If it returns the signature properties, then the form is Reader Enabled.
  5. Otherwise, if it returns an error, the form is not Reader Enabled.

Your form does not appear to be available on Ge.TT, so I can't test. I suspect that your form IS Reader Enabled, but that the use of viewers other than Acrobat or Adobe Reader is adversely affecting the data.

Form is Reader Enabled:

Reader Enabled.png

Form is NOT Reader Enabled:

Not Reader Enabled.png

You can get details about testing a form here: http://learn.adobe.com/wiki/download/attachments/64389123/LiveCycleReaderEnabledDocs.pdf?version=1&m....

Hope that helps,

Niall

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Level 10

Hi,

The issue is that you have not Reader Enabled the form. This means that while the form can be opened in Adobe Reader, the data inputted is not saved.

You will see a summary of the options for deploying a form here, together with the functionality that is either available or not available, depending on your choices before you send out the form:

http://assure.ly/etkFNU.

You can apply Reader rights in two ways:

1. Using Acrobat Standard (v9 or later) or Acrobat Professional (v7 and v8). There are licensing restrictions.
  2. Using the server component LiveCycle Reader Extensions ES2.5.

Hope that helps,

Niall

Former Community Member

Hi,

Thanks for your quick reply. I (should) have the reader rights assigned. This is what i can see when i look at the form property in the reader (file -> properties -> tab security) this is why i do not understand why the content is saved (i can see the values in notepad when i open the PDF with it) but not with the reader.

Do you know what i can do to solve this problem ?

Thanks,

Johnny B

Level 10

Hi,

The File > Properties > Security tab may say that the user can fill out form fields, but that is different from the ability to save data in Reader.

If the form is NOT Reader enabled, then users with Reader will NOT be able to save the data that they input.

Deploy Options 02 - Save.png

If you want users with Reader to be able to save their data, then the form must be reader enabled, using one of the two methods.

Hope that helps,

Niall

Former Community Member

Ok thanks....I created this form with the adobelivecycle workbench embedded into SAP. Maybe something wrong occurs during the activation/creation of the PDF.

But how could you explain that I can see the values when i open the PDF with Notepad ? Maybe i am wrong but it mean that the content is saved but not visible in the reader no ?

Regards,

Johnny B

Level 10

I am not familar with the SAP environment, but one thing to check.

Is the form being opened in an Apple Mac environment OR in Windows? If it is Mac OS, then there is a potential that the form is actually being opened in Apple Preview program and NOT in Adobe Reader for Mac. In this case, the form is opened and the user can type in data, but then the returned form is opened in Acrobat the fields appear empty, even though the data is there.

Niall

Former Community Member

Hello,

This is what's going on with an apple. Basically, i open and fill the form in windows with acrobat reader 10, i save the document and once opened afterward in an Apple Mac, i can indeed see the content but i cannot save anything, meaning that this is the opposite between windows and apple world: I can save but not see the data in windows and i can see but not save the data in an Apple. FYI, i have installed an other viewer on my PC (sumatraPDF) and in this case, i experiences exactly the same behavior than on the mac.

If i understood well now based on your precious informations, it sounds like the permissions are not assigned to the PDF once generated in SAP. The strange thing is that i have another one i have created several month ago where i do not have this problem...

Thanks again for your help. I have to stop the investigations on the PC/Mac and i have to investigate in SAP on how the form is created.

Regards,

Johnny B (from France)

Level 10

Hi Johnny,

Have a look at this post http://assure.ly/hd4jFh, which discusses some of the issues of opening XFA forms in Apple Preview and third party viewers.

If you have users that open the form in Apple, I would recommend a note in the form to advise the user to make sure that the form is opened in Adobe Reader (for Mac), and not Apple Preview.

Hope that helps,

Niall

Former Community Member

Hi,

Probably readers like sumatraPDF of the one in an Apple are less sensitive comparing to the pure Acrobat reader and in any cases, i need to see and change the data. The most complicated thing for me is to figure out where is the problem.

Do i have to investigate potantial issue with our PCs (wrong policies ?) or if the problem is in SAP when the form is generated. The problem is that i am still able to activate and regenerate the one i created several months ago and where i do not have any problems with and why any new created now are face to this issue. I have compared everything and even play with tool like PDFTK in order to (re)push the rights into it but without success unfortunately.

Could you just answer last questions:

• If i can save data but not see the data afterward, it mean that the form is not Reader enabled and even if:
    • i can see the content with other reader like Apple std one or SumatraPDF andeven by opening the form with google Chrome.
    • The form properties mention that i there is no security and in the header of the PDF, there is a text message saying that i can fill and save the content of the pdf.

• Are you aware of a 3rd party tool that could explicitely tell me that the form is not reader enabled in order to run this analysis to my old PDF and the new ones.

As you can see, i need to know if the form is reader enabled yes or no in order to investigate either the pc itself or livecycle.

Thanks again for your prompt help on that topic.

Regards,

Johnny Baillargeaux

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi Johnny,

If you open the form in Acrobat (not Reader or any third party viewer), then you can test to see if the form is Reader Enabled.

1. Open the form in Acrobat.
  2. Open the JavaScript Console (Control+J).
  3. Paste this into the console and hit Control+Enter to run it: appRightsValidate({}, 2, true);
  4. If it returns the signature properties, then the form is Reader Enabled.
  5. Otherwise, if it returns an error, the form is not Reader Enabled.

Your form does not appear to be available on Ge.TT, so I can't test. I suspect that your form IS Reader Enabled, but that the use of viewers other than Acrobat or Adobe Reader is adversely affecting the data.

Form is Reader Enabled:

Reader Enabled.png

Form is NOT Reader Enabled:

Not Reader Enabled.png

You can get details about testing a form here: http://learn.adobe.com/wiki/download/attachments/64389123/LiveCycleReaderEnabledDocs.pdf?version=1&m....

Hope that helps,

Niall

Former Community Member

Hello!

I have the same problem.

I created a form with the adobelivecycle workbench embedded into SAP. This form contains a server signature.

When I generate a PDF archive without signature, all works OK. But when I include the code for generate PDF with server signature, content fields has disappear unless you click into the field.

In my case, I generate 6 different Adobe forms. Five works fine but one of them has this fail. For all, signature process is the same.

Signature code:

Downloading l_pdf content, works fine, but downloading l_out not work.

TRY.

l_pdfobj = l_fp->create_pdf_object( connection = 'ADS' ).

CALL METHOD l_pdfobj->set_document
         EXPORTING
           pdfdata = l_pdf.   " Here l_pdf is the PDF we just created

CALL METHOD l_pdfobj->set_signature
         EXPORTING
           keyname   = 'ServerSignature'      "Hace referencia al certificado
           fieldname = 'data[0].Pagina1[0].CampoFirma2[0]'     "Campo de firmfirma
*         reason    =
*         location  =
*         contactinfo =
*    ADS call
       CALL METHOD l_pdfobj->execute( ).

*   Signed pdf
       CALL METHOD l_pdfobj->get_document
         IMPORTING
           pdfdata = l_out.

CATCH cx_fp_runtime_internal INTO l_fpex.

CATCH cx_fp_runtime_system INTO l_fpex.

CATCH cx_fp_runtime_usage INTO l_fpex.

ENDTRY.

Former Community Member

I have solved the issue.

In a LiveCicleDesigner:

In a initalize event for a group of fileds I have forced to "open" the Access property.

The code.

data.Pagina1.CamposCabecera::initialize - (JavaScript, client)   // Event modified.

this.access = "open";

Strange solution, but works.