Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Complete Saving issues pdf form

Former Community Member

Hello,

I built a PDF form using Adobe LiveCycle Designer ES 8.2. After designing the form I added a "Save As" button that opens up the save as command in Adobe Reader through some javascript code.

topmostSubform.Page1.Save1::mouseUp - (JavaScript, client)

app.execMenuItem("SaveAs")

I then saved the LiveCycle file down as a pdf and then re-saved it with the "Extend features in Adobe Reader..." through Adobe Acrobat 9. (so users could then fill out the form with Adobe Reader)

The odd thing about this is that we got a couple of emails where the users could not save all the information on the form. It was rather inconsistent with what fields ended up saving. We assumed that they indeed could fill all the fields out. (yes we tested to be sure that anyone could) My guess is that it could be any number of issues with the end users not having the most up to date operating system, browser, adobe reader etc.

The form consisted of text boxes, radio buttons, check boxes and some drop down menus.

Most (95%) of the users were able to save and e-mail us the pdf form but there were a few odd cases where some people had some issues. If anyone knows of any solution to these possible 'quirks' please let me know.

Kind Regards,

Chris G.

4 Replies

Former Community Member

Were they using Macs by chance ..and further were they using the software called Preview (the Apple PDF viewer) to fill out the form?

Paul

Former Community Member

Here is another thing that just came in. The people who manage the forms that come back to the email box have adobe reader. When they tried to open up some of the forms they got this wonderful message. Also they can see the saved data in each text field only when they click on each field. lol

Click to Enlarge

I thought that saving the pdf with adobe acrobat 9 with the whole "Extend features in Adobe Reader..." thing would work =S "Ugh" Help on this anyone?

Former Community Member

Indeed this could be a possibility. I guess we will have to sugest that people use PC's to fill out the form until I can further test/troubleshoot things out in the Mac world.

Level 10

Hi,

For what it is worth, I can confirm that XFA forms work perfectly on a Mac, provided they are opened in either Acrobat or Reader.

XFA forms will not work on a Mac if opened in a Mac program called 'Preview'.

Discussions here:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2594572#2594572

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2864468#2864468

Good luck,

Niall