Expand my Community achievements bar.

Check boxes / radio buttons inside a ListBox / other component?

Level 2

Hi again

Is it possible to have check boxes / radio buttons inside a list box (or other component)?

Having them inside a list box would be ideal.

I have seen use of this concept virtually everywhere!

One idea was to have check boxes / radio buttons in repeating subforms, but it's not practical because there are no scroll bars!!

For example, I would want to achieve something like this:

-----------------

[x] One

[ ] Two

[x] Three

-----------------

The check boxes must be together in rows, housed inside a list box or similar component.

Any help appreciated!!

Thanks,

Shiv

9 Replies

Level 10

My answer is "NO". Will be happy if someone says its possible to do this in PDFs.

Nith

DISCLAIMER:

========================================================================

"This communication is intended only for the named recipient and others authorized to receive it.

It contains confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately, and note that any disclosure, copying, distribution or action you may take in reliance on this communication is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Unless indicated otherwise, this communication is not intended, nor should it be taken to create any legal and/or contractual relation or otherwise. Ministry of Finance (MOF) is neither liable for the proper and complete transmission of the communication, nor for any delay in its receipt.

Whilst MOF undertakes all reasonable efforts to screen outgoing e-mails for viruses, it cannot be held liable for any viruses transmitted by this e-mail."

Level 2

That's 2 negative replies from you today!! ;-)

There are so many limitations on Acrobat / LiveCycle, it's not even funny!!

Level 10

I believe that the Adobe forms are mostly used to replace our day to day paper forms.

If you think it in that way, you will get lot a positive points..

And most important is the form must be printable.

So its good enough to have a diligent form (not with elegant styles).

If you still need some graphics, styles and animations on your form, I would recommend Adobe Flex which provides lots and lots of stuffs featured beyond our imagination..

Cheers,

Nith

DISCLAIMER:

"This communication is intended only for the named recipient and others authorized to receive it.

It contains confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately, and note that any disclosure, copying, distribution or action you may take in reliance on this communication is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Unless indicated otherwise, this communication is not intended, nor should it be taken to create any legal and/or contractual relation or otherwise. Ministry of Finance (MOF) is neither liable for the proper and complete transmission of the communication, nor for any delay in its receipt.

Whilst MOF undertakes all reasonable efforts to screen outgoing e-mails for viruses, it cannot be held liable for any viruses transmitted by this e-mail."

Level 2

Hi Nith

Thanks for the reply.

What is the point if you can't make dynamic, free flowing, fillable, interactive forms?

By having this functionality, printing is going to be a problem at some point.

Think of list boxes that scroll (and don't have vertical scroll bars while I'm at it).

Because I can't include radio buttons / check boxes in another component for easy scrolling, I had to just use a list box - which isn't as user friendly.

Multi select in a list box will already confuse users.

Printing is a poor excuse for missing functionality

I'm not going to fork out for another Adobe product, no way!!

As it is I am regretting purchasing LiveCycle - buggy, unstable, poor documentation, poor support, missing functionality... you get the picture.

I've sent lots of bug and crash reports to Adobe Support, they always say "it will be fixed in the next release".

I even had a Connect session with Adobe people, at the moment they are stumped and will get back to me!!

I never want to develop in LC ever again - even if you paid me a lot to do it!!!

Regards,

Shivan

Level 10

Dynamism:

Thought it doesn't provide much interactivity, I wouldn't say that it's not enough for replacing the paper based forms into intelligent forms.

Printing:

The greatest thing of PDF is printable feature. You need not fight with coding in order make several pages of data as its intended for pages based screens(you could never override this functionality with PDFs too).

And, the LiveCycle never forces us to develop interactive forms using PDFs; you can choose PDF, Form Guides, custom flex applications, or even our traditional HTML forms.

Support:

This is not only an issue with Adobe; but happens with many major software vendors.

Nith

DISCLAIMER:

Level 2

Hi Nith

I was looking at the Acrobat JavaScript Scripting Reference, the execDialog function.

I am trying to insert a check box into a Heirarchical List Box, but it's not working.

Have you attempted to integrate one component into another this way?

Thanks so much, much appreciated.

Regards,

Shiv

Level 10

No, I just created few simple dialogs such as employee lookup, filter etc.. That’s it.

Nithiyanandam Dharmadass

Computer Systems Analyst

Financial Information Directorate

Ministry of Finance

Tel: +973 17575292

Mob:+973 38350892

Fax: +973 17532713

E-mail: Nith@mof.gov.bh

Level 4

Interactive Components likes lists, checkboxes,

and drop-downs are basic elements.  This is the same for all

developement platforms everywhere.  The complex components you see in applications, flash, etc. are the result of extra programming that's been put into building on the basic elements.  To do this kind of programming requires a complex and rich platform structure, and elements that can be customized.  Acrobat and LiveCycle are not full blown application platforms.  They are document platforms.  They both provide only basic, non-modifiable, interactive components because you're not supposed to be using them for building full blown applications. 

The Dialog specification used by app.execDialog is also very basic. The interactive elements are limited to basic functionality.  Don't however, under estimate the power of these simple elements.  Custom dialogs are a key user interface item. I've used them to build several very complex and powerful automation tools and form wizards, using elements such as dynamically updated images.

Take a look at the examples here:

http://www.windjack.com/products/acrodialogs.html

Thom Parker
The source for PDF Scripting Info
pdfscripting.com

The Acrobat JavaScript Reference, Use it Early and Often
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/acrobat/javascript.html

Then most important JavaScript Development tool in Acrobat
The Console Window (Video tutorial)
The Console Window(article)

Level 1

Hi Thom,

I am looking for some examples of custom dialog boxes which allow the user to pick items from a listbox, but also to edit that list. The application is an expense report and the list is a list of employees which will of course change over time. Rather than have the list hard-coded into the PDF form, I want to add / delete names as required.

Perhaps you could point me in the right direction to sample code etc.

Apologies for resurrecting a thread that's been dead for 5 years....

Louis