Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

cannot call function

Former Community Member

I added a script object and put a function in the script object. I want everything to run on the server because only print output is being created, but to see if it's working I said to run at client. When done I'll change back to server. In the calculate event on a field on the master page I'm calling the function. I can't tell if the function's being called or not. If I mistype the function name and check syntax it shows no error. How can I make sure the function is being called? I would have posted in the script forum but not as much activity is there. Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

There's the tutorial files that come with LiveCycle, check the help for "about the quick start tutorials" and I think you want the "Creating a purchase order form that has a flowable layout". It uses an xml file with data for populating a table. You may want to take a look at some of the other ones just to see how the form layout works.

I've not done any work with importing xml data so won't be much more use to you on that count!

If you're going to be doing a bunch of this, J.P. Terry's book Creating Dynamic Forms with Adobe LiveCycle Designer is well worth picking up.

The preview loads Acrobat into a window so WYSIWYG, though I think I've spotted a bit of oddness once in a while.

--

I bike to work most of the time as well, and do some long rides. Also do a fair bit of mountain biking.

View solution in original post

13 Replies

Former Community Member

Update a field from the function....when you get the final form, if the field value is there from the function you know it ran.

paul

Former Community Member

The field is not being updated.

I put the following in the calculate event:

xfa.host.messageBox("001");

If the script is configured to run on the client I should get a dialog. I'm not getting one.

Former Community Member

Do you want to post your form and I will have a look?

Paul

Former Community Member

I had the total working at the end of each line but must have deleted the script when I was screwing with it. The one I can't make work is F22a.calxculate.

Former Community Member

I cannot open that zip file ......what is inside it? Can you post the file in a pdf format?

Paul

Former Community Member

Sorry about the zip. I put the code back in to total at the end of each line. Thanks!

Former Community Member

The form I uploaded does not work the way it's supposed to work. The F22a numeric field can't be made to display anything. I wrapped everything in the master page into a subform then moved that with the page where detail is created. When I made a new form from template that's the way it came out, so I thought I would rearrange to be the same way. On the calculate event for F22a I put   55;  . From what I've read that should place the value in the field. If I change the field to read-only instead of read-only-calculate and put something in the default value, that should be displayed, but it does not. The field F22a was made as a floating field inside a table cell. There is a little text object named R98 which appears close to the cell containing F22a. When I try to move it out of the way the form jumps around in design view and everything disappears. So I deleted it instead. Still nothing appears in F22a.

This forms appears to be screwed up or something and needs to be created again I guess. It was originally an Excel spreadsheet. It was printed, captured, and made into a PDF with Adobe Pro. That PDF was in turn imported into LiveCycle Designer, and that's where the lines and positioned text came from. It is small text. I then sought to put a repeatable portion on top of that to display detail. The repeatable portion works, but nothing will go into the total fields. Things aren't working like they're supposed to.

Former Community Member

Your right that form is messed up ....all of the fields are set to be readOnly and I cannot change them. Also look at the field sizes in the layout panel. They are all too small to display anything. How was this form created?

Paul

Former Community Member

An Excel spreadsheet was printed and captured with Adobe Pro. A new LiveCycle Designer form was made by importing that. The non repeating parts were cut and pasted into a master page. The repeating parts were replaced with a table and floating fields and other than containers that was the only thing left on the design view. The table was ciopied and pasted into the master page with a single row to be used for totals.

I was using Designer version 8.1, which we've been told we have to use. I did however uninstall, download, and install 8.2 to see if there's a functionality difference. I also noticed the little info icons when the form came up in 8.2. I made the height using trial and error in 8.1. This does not prevent stuff from displaying, though 8.2 shows the warning icon. I will address that issue.

If I placed a new text field on the master page, it works better. I still can't get the sum I want, but I can at least have it display a value as the result of the calculate event.

I'm going to start over and reimport the captured PDF again. Instead of cutting and pasting into a master page I'm just going to put a repeating subform on top of what's there. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Level 10

After a quick look at the form I think a bunch of the trouble is trying to do all that on the master page - that's not what master pages are for. For master pages think headers, footers, margins, etc.

Also you're using floating fields which probably isn't helping - you should be using text or numeric fields.

This will be a good part of the problem with your other thread about trying to total fields. You're trying to iterate through table cells but they aren't really table cells, they're blank text with floating fields - I'm not sure how you'd access that info.

Former Community Member

Thanks guy. You validated most of what I was thinking, so I'm making progress.

How well does preview functionality work? When using a table as I was, I could populate any number of rows. Now I'm using a subform and only get one row of preview data. BUT the summing works better. So I gained in one area and lost in another. Is there a sample form somewhere I can look at? All the sample forms I've seen have a fixed number of rows and each field on each row is individually addressible. I need a sample form where rows get created dynamically from the data. Does preview no longer work in such a case? Thanks

ps. I'm a biker too, ride to work each day and do a ride at lunch

Correct answer by
Level 10

There's the tutorial files that come with LiveCycle, check the help for "about the quick start tutorials" and I think you want the "Creating a purchase order form that has a flowable layout". It uses an xml file with data for populating a table. You may want to take a look at some of the other ones just to see how the form layout works.

I've not done any work with importing xml data so won't be much more use to you on that count!

If you're going to be doing a bunch of this, J.P. Terry's book Creating Dynamic Forms with Adobe LiveCycle Designer is well worth picking up.

The preview loads Acrobat into a window so WYSIWYG, though I think I've spotted a bit of oddness once in a while.

--

I bike to work most of the time as well, and do some long rides. Also do a fair bit of mountain biking.