Expand my Community achievements bar.

Guidelines for the Responsible Use of Generative AI in the Experience Cloud Community.

Binding floating text fields with other fields...

Level 4

Niall, or anyone who'd like to help...

I was in Paul G's flowing forms webinar today and a file was shared that showed how a floating text field could be globally binded to another text field, so that when the user enters text in the text field, it would automatically fill in the floating text in a text box.

I am trying to figure out how Niall was able to get the same floating text field in two different places on the form.

Niall

When I add two floating text fields, even when they are globally bound, they still show up in the heirarchy as two separate objects ("field[0]" and "field[1]"). I think this may be where I'm having trouble with my form.

Can anyonen help me figure this out?

Thanks!

Jo

5 Replies

Level 10

The floating fields needs to be named the same way as the fields you wanna use the values from.

And yes, you then have sevaral objects in the hierachy with the same name, that's correct.

Level 4

Thanks...I have done that but it isn't working for me.

Here's a shot of my form. I've named both the text field and the floating text field "insurance", but they are both showing up as separate floating text fields.

Niall

I can not figure out what I'm doing wrong.

In Niall's file, whether you click on the text field or the floating text field, the same item in the hierarchy is highlighted as the active object. Here's a shot with the text field as the active object...you'll see it's the same object as when the floating text is the active object.

Niall

Jo

Level 10

Floating fields are used in text but not in text fields.

Create a text object and select it so the text cursor is shown and enter some text like "This is a sample text for ".

Then click right the text object to open the context menu and select "floating field in text".

This will add a hidden text field to your form and its name ans a placeholder with curly brackets to the text object such as "This is a sample text for {textfield}".

In the hierachy you can see the hidden text field "textfield".

Rename it into "Insurance" and set its binding to global.

The placeholder in your text object will change to "This is a sample text for {Insurance}".

Now the placeholder will be replaced by the value of the field that is also named "Insurance".

Level 4

You're right...it does work. I was getting an error message earlier...something about validate failed. But it's not doing that anymore. I thought it might be because of the fact that I can't get my fields set up like Niall's fields (where they appear to be one in the same), but it must have been a different reason for the error.

It is working fine now.

Thank you!
Jo

Level 1

Hi, Select the Floating Field and set the Presence of the Object to the Visible From Object --> Field Tab.