Expand my Community achievements bar.

Binding Data (xml) Successfully

Level 1

Hi .... This is definitely a newbie question ... assistance appreciated.

I am having no problems getting data to preview properly, either using xml sample data or an ole connection to a database.   I am guessing that for distribution where the data "travels" with the pdf  (i.e. does not have a live connection to a server) there is an ability to make that happen. Checking the data binding in the Object Palette confirms the binding is "there".

But I can't figure out how to get the data to preview when I leave the LiveCycle Designer Environment and open up the pdf independently. I just get the form with textboxes that are empty. The simple idea is to bind the data for email distribution to recipients who will then update the existing content and return for manual re-import/update into the original database.

This is so newbie that it would seem like something easily found on the web or in books, but I'm not finding it anywhere including the Adobe Press book I purchased on LiveCycle Design.

Any help or direction to instructions/tutorials would be appreciated ... thank you .

Marc

3 Replies

Former Community Member

The data needs to be merged onto the template (this is what is happening in the preview). You have 3 options to accomplish this:

1. Load the empty form and import the data. There are menu items for this or you can add a button on the form that asks the user for the file to import.

2. You can put a reference in the data file to the location of the template and have the user load he data file which in turn loads the template.

3. You can use LiveCycle server to merge the data and template together to make a prefilled PDF file.

Hope that helps

Paul

Level 1

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the rapid reply ... unfortunately, I haven't gotten to try out the methods yet, but I will in the next day or two and report back.

I appreciate the help ....!

Marc

Level 1

Hi Paul,

Thanks again for replying in the forum ... didn't know you'd be emailing me too.

I've been very busy at work and haven't tried your suggestions yet, but I will for sure (soon!).

Marc

Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 06:36:55 -0600

To: quiet_mountain@hotmail.com

Subject: Binding Data (xml) Successfully

The data needs to be merged onto the template (this is what is happening in the preview). You have 3 options to accomplish this:

1. Load the empty form and import the data. There are menu items for this or you can add a button on the form that asks the user for the file to import.

2. You can put a reference in the data file to the location of the template and have the user load he data file which in turn loads the template.

3. You can use LiveCycle server to merge the data and template together to make a prefilled PDF file.

Hope that helps

Paul

>