Expand my Community achievements bar.

Guidelines for the Responsible Use of Generative AI in the Experience Cloud Community.
SOLVED

Best Method to Create Bookmarks

Former Community Member

I am converting a 70+ page contract template to LiveCycle Designer 9.0.0.2 and would like to accomplish creating permanent bookmarks when the users open the form in Adobe.  Using info from this link, http://forums.adobe.com/message/4013698, I'm able to set the initial view to open showing bookmarks panel.  Right now, am still finishing the master form, so when I re-open it in LiveCycle, this setting goes away.  Once am finished with form, will re-set the initial view.  Same with bookmarks. I can create a bookmark table of contents for the contract, but if I open in LiveCycle to modify contents, I have to re-create the extensive bookmarks list in Adobe again.

Is there an efficient way to do this that the bookmarks will remain?  Have been reading and downloaded examples of how to create them using XML, but not quite there in understanding how to implement.

Also, is there any way to retain the bookmarks if printed to PDF?  In some cases the final version of the document will be printed to PDF so they can further use comment/mark-up functionality in Adobe.  Even though I've enabled form for Reader Extensions (we use professional version - reader is for some remote users), am not able to use mark-up/commenting functionality in Adobe or add/remove pages until it's been printed to PDF and no longer a LiveCycle form.  If there is something I'm missing on this side, would appreciate any advice, as printing to PDF is not the best option to gain this functionality, as it loses other important features. 

The form is being moved from Word to LiveCycle because it contains many sections with re-started page numbers, etc.  Am using multiple master pages in LiveCycle to handle this, and it works well.  In Word, it is too easy for someone to accidentally remove a section break and mess up the numbering, headers/footers, etc.  So am hoping to overcome the issues with LiveCycle.  Thank you for any help.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi,

the bookmarks for XFA forms where intoduced with LiveCycle ES3 (10.x) (also knows as ADEP), and there seems to be no way to create such bookmarks in a previous version.

The bookmark macro in the thread you mentioned is designed for ES3 or higher.

It can propably work in ES2, but is not guaranteed because in ES2 the macro API was a unofficical, undocumented feature with a few limitations and less methods than in in official version.

The macro will add an extras element to each object you want to create a bookmark for.

<extras name="bookmark">

<text name="name">My Bookmark</text>

<text name="color">0,0,0</text>

<text name="style">normal</text>

<text name="action">setFocus</text>

</extras>

This extras element will be reinterpreted as a bookmark by the PDF viewer, but for XFA forms made with ES2 it simply doesn't work (no idea why).

So you would have to use a newer version of Designer, to use those bookmark features.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi,

the bookmarks for XFA forms where intoduced with LiveCycle ES3 (10.x) (also knows as ADEP), and there seems to be no way to create such bookmarks in a previous version.

The bookmark macro in the thread you mentioned is designed for ES3 or higher.

It can propably work in ES2, but is not guaranteed because in ES2 the macro API was a unofficical, undocumented feature with a few limitations and less methods than in in official version.

The macro will add an extras element to each object you want to create a bookmark for.

<extras name="bookmark">

<text name="name">My Bookmark</text>

<text name="color">0,0,0</text>

<text name="style">normal</text>

<text name="action">setFocus</text>

</extras>

This extras element will be reinterpreted as a bookmark by the PDF viewer, but for XFA forms made with ES2 it simply doesn't work (no idea why).

So you would have to use a newer version of Designer, to use those bookmark features.

Former Community Member

Thank you. Newer version not possible at present, and will check on it's availability to us for future.  In the meantime, will do some testing with the macros and if no luck, for now will manually create the bookmarks in PDF after the form has been completed, tested, etc., and ready for use.  Thanks so much for this info.