Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Background in Signature Field

Level 3

I need to find some way of putting an image in the background of my signature field.  It should be possible using java, but I'm not sure how to do it.  The other option would be for me to somehow make the transparent image appear overtop of the signature field.  I've tried that but the signature field appears on top no matter what.  Any suggestions?

-master of the precious

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Thanks for the update. To use the custom background in LiveCycle:

1. Select your signature activity
  2. Select the Properties tab
  3. Scroll to the Appearance Options Spec section
  4. Deselect the "Use Default Adobe PDF Logo" checkbox
  5. Click the browse button
  6. Navigate to and select the SignatureLogo file

You were also asking about changing the appearance of the foreground. You can create a custom signature appearance independent of the background. In Acrobat or Reader:

1. Select the Edit > Preferences (Win) or Acrobat/Reader > Preferences (Mac) menu
  2. Select Security from the list box
  3. Click the New button in the Appearance group box
  4. Here is where you can play around with what you want to display and suppress and you can also import a custom graphic

In LiveCycle, there are similar controls for importing an image and selecting the items to display in the the same Appearance Options Spec section noted above.

As far as what size the image should be (how much of the page it should take up), you need to sign something and see how it looks. If nothing is displayed it is probably too big. Try and scale it down. What I do is create a blank PDF file, and then use the Document > Background menu to add the image. From the Add or Update Background dialog you can scale the image and control the opacity to get the look you want.

Steve

View solution in original post

15 Replies

Employee

Just so I understand, are you using a LiveCycle server to sign the PDF file or are you signing in Acrobat and/or Reader?

Thanks for the clarification.

Steve

Level 3

I'm signing with Acrobat 9/ Reader.  Thanks Steve.

-master of the precious

Employee

I should have asked what OS you're using, so there is going to be a little extra data here then you need.

First up is you need to create a PDF file to use as your background, which will be used in lieu of the pink trefoil image. Then you need to save the file as SignatureLogo.pdf, but where you save it depends on the OS. It's going to go into one of the following three locations (if you're using Linux let me know and I figure out the path):

Mac OS X

/Users/<name>/Library/Acrobat User Data/<version>/Security

Win XP

C:\Documents and Settings\<name>\Application Data\Adobe\Acrobat\<version>\Security

Vista

C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Acrobat\<version>\Security

A couple of notes about the path. Where I put <name> will change to the login name and <version> will be the version number of Acrobat. These paths will be the same regardless if you are using Acrobat or Reader.

Finally, some notes about creating the SignatureLogo.pdf file. The file should be an 8.5 x 11 size page with the image in the center and scaled to a size that looks good in the signature field. You might have to play with the size of the image to get the look you want. Also, please not that there is no space in the file name. If you put a space between Signature and Logo it won't work.

Steve

Level 3

K, that's no problem.  Now what?  How do I apply this pdf file to the signature field in LifeCycle?

-master of the precious

Employee

What version of LiveCycle are you running (e.g. ES v8.2)?

Level 3

Yes, I have ES v8.2.  Also, I finished with the SignatureLogo.pdf file.  The image is the size of the page; I assume that's how it's supposed to be and it will shrink for the signature field, I'm not actually supposed to make it it's real size, right?

Correct answer by
Employee

Thanks for the update. To use the custom background in LiveCycle:

1. Select your signature activity
  2. Select the Properties tab
  3. Scroll to the Appearance Options Spec section
  4. Deselect the "Use Default Adobe PDF Logo" checkbox
  5. Click the browse button
  6. Navigate to and select the SignatureLogo file

You were also asking about changing the appearance of the foreground. You can create a custom signature appearance independent of the background. In Acrobat or Reader:

1. Select the Edit > Preferences (Win) or Acrobat/Reader > Preferences (Mac) menu
  2. Select Security from the list box
  3. Click the New button in the Appearance group box
  4. Here is where you can play around with what you want to display and suppress and you can also import a custom graphic

In LiveCycle, there are similar controls for importing an image and selecting the items to display in the the same Appearance Options Spec section noted above.

As far as what size the image should be (how much of the page it should take up), you need to sign something and see how it looks. If nothing is displayed it is probably too big. Try and scale it down. What I do is create a blank PDF file, and then use the Document > Background menu to add the image. From the Add or Update Background dialog you can scale the image and control the opacity to get the look you want.

Steve

Level 3

K, I have just a few more questions.  First of all, this is for the signature field, right?  I just want to make sure it's not just for my signature.  Second, I'm not quite sure what you mean by "signature activity."  Where's that?  Thanks.

-master of the precious

Employee

I'm referring to the signature itself, not the field. When you create the signature field there are a few things you can control such as the border color and the font. However, it's just a blank field until you add a signature. The field itself is just a representation of the actual digital signature. This representation it is composed of a background (which can be suppressed) and a foreground. You have control over how these two items appear as I've explained above.

Using Workbench to access your LiveCycle server, in the Main Branch window is where you drag and drop the Activities (processes). One of those should be your signing process. That's what I was referring to. Another way to get there is to select the signing process from the Process tab and then select the Properties tab.

Steve

Level 3

Ugg, sorry for the miscommunication.  I actually don't have Workbench, just LiveCycle Designer 8.2.  My whole objective really is just to make the signatures from the signature field appear across an image (seal).  I tried making the seal transparent and putting it over the field, but the signature field won't allow that so I thought I could put the image as a background in the signature field.   Thanks for your help.

-master of the precious

Employee

Can you attach the graphic to your reply? If so I'll see if I can make it like like you want. As an aside, attached files get queued up and I might not be able to download it for a while. I don't know how long it takes for the server to post the actual file.

Steve

Level 3

K, here's the graphic.  Good luck!

-smeagol

Level 3

You might give this a try, too....

-gollum

Employee

blankseal.bmp is a zero byte file so it's useless. The PDF is still in queued mode, but when it becomes available I'll give it a whirl.

Steve

Level 3

Yeah, I noticed that the bmp didn't go through.  Maybe this will work...  Thanks Steve.

-smeagol