Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Automatic row height resize on Text cell containing a Floating Field

Level 1

Hi all,

Hope someone can help me out

I'll explain my scenario with a simplified example to keep things to-the-point:

I have a Table with 1 Column and 2 Rows. The cell in Row1 is Text (NOT a Text Field) which contains a Floating Field. I have a button on my form that populates the Floating Field with a string. If the string value that is inserted into the Floating Field is very long, the text overflows outside the borders of the cell.

Screenie.png

It seems that the table row height does not adjust dynamically to changes to the length of the text within the cell.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 8

Another way is to click on the cell then go View>XML Source. You'll see something like  <draw name="Cell1" h="10mm"> highlighted. Remove the height attribute h="10mm" completely.

Kyle

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Former Community Member

I have never used a floating field so I was curious. I reproduced what you said except at one point, I by accident, pulled the text out of the table. I selected it again and dragged it back into the table. I then added the floating field, set to multiple line and pasted some multiline text in the default value. It autosized like it should. I decided to repeat: created a table, inseted a floating field into the first row, set to multiline, pasted in the same text. Hmm, it overflowed into the second row. I selected the text item in the heirarchy, click on the blue outline of it on the form and dragged it out of the table. I clicked off, clicked back on it, clicked on the edge and dragged back into the table. The row resized to the text. I deleted the default text and the row resized down. Paste it back in, resizes up. I don't know what got changed, but I guess it is worth a try to drag yours out of the table and back in.

Correct answer by
Level 8

Another way is to click on the cell then go View>XML Source. You'll see something like  <draw name="Cell1" h="10mm"> highlighted. Remove the height attribute h="10mm" completely.

Kyle

Level 1

Thanks Kyle & Steve,

Both methods work - although Kyle's solution seems probably a little more robust.

Is there any way to do something similar with a Text object (i.e. not a Text field). If you create a Text object with a Floating field - then insert a very long string into the Floating field so that the length of the text exceeds the size of the Text object - it overflows similarly to my prior Table scenario. How would one get a Text object to resize itself to accommodate a variable length Floating field?

Obviously all the necessary Expand to Fit options have been ticked... that's not the issue here.

-Thanks! :-)