Expand my Community achievements bar.

Applications for the 2024-2025 Adobe Experience Manager Champion Program are open!

Auto Populate

Level 1

I'm designing a form in livecycle, the form connects to an access database and works fine. My db table lists parts, the table consists of 3 fields Part Number, Description, and cost. I'm using a drop down list for the Part Number, and text Fields for description and cost. I would like the Description and cost fields to auto populate after I select a Part Number from the drop down list. Is this possible? Also I don't want the form to update or change my db table. I'd be grateful for any help.

Thank-You

Joe Reid

9 Replies

Level 1

Im trying to do exactly the same thing, but with my own parameters.

If you know about this, kindly pass it on.

I intend to watch this thread..

Regards,

Level 1

Srini, Thanks for trying to help..

I have Livecycle ver8 and this file does not open. I tried opening with

Adobe Professional ver 8.1.7. Some forms are displayed but the thing works.

Im unable to get behind-the-scenes in order to look at the code.

Could you please help me with the code here in this forum? As you may be

aware, we are not using Arrays here, but trying to use dynamic info from the

access db that I have as the back-end.

Thanks for your efforts..

Regards,

Kaarthik

Level 10

Scenario: If you want to load the PartNo dropdown from the table and then populate the Description and price based on the selection of PartNo.

While loading the form, you will have access to the database data. That means in the Initialize event.

Can you use the initialize event to create an array from database data and populate the PartNo? which would be an easier way to handle the data.

These arrays are not static. They will be filled with data dynamically.

Thanks

Srini

Level 1

Srini,

The file posted in the link you gave us earlier, when opened in Livecycle 8, gives an error "Malformed SOM expression: som(#subformSet)". The file does not open at all and I am unable to view the code. Is it possible for you to paste the code (using dynamic arrays) here?

I agree this could be handled dynamically. But can JScript handle this well, specially when we have 700+ part numbers?

Need some advice here.

regards

Level 1

Hi Does anybody out there have a Clean copy of the "Purchase" example file ?

Im trying to do exactly the same thing, but the file gives me error when I open with Livecycle 8, and Im not able to get to behind the code!!

Pls help.!

Thanks

Level 10

Karthik,

Can you try this file.. I set the default tatget version as 8.0..

https://acrobat.com/#d=aU*RjLsT6jr6zKUwCOnEug

Thanks

Srini

Level 1

Srini,

This file opened in ver8. Thanks for that !

However, when I looked into the code, I saw that the dependant drop-down (Country->States) and the PartNo->Description to->Price, etc has been done using Arrays! This works with relatively small amounts of data. Can you tell me how to handle this with large amounts of data that lie in an access db ?

I have Unique DropDown Item Codes which are bound to my db, and the corresponding ItemDescription is in the table in the DB. Although I am dynamically connected through a DataConnection, I cant seem to figure out how to pull the description for the corresponding item-code selected.

Can you please help ?

Regards,

Level 10

Declare the array variables in your form as Global variables. Load data to them in the initialize event of any control.

File menu -> Form Properties and choose variables tab.

That way the array variables will have data before the form itself is opened. Rest will work same way as the purchase order form works.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Srini