Expand my Community achievements bar.

Radically easy to access on brand approved content for distribution and omnichannel performant delivery. AEM Assets Content Hub and Dynamic Media with OpenAPI capabilities is now GA.

Auto number each form when distributing by email

Level 2

I need to assign a number to each form during or before emailing, anyway to do that with scripting? Thanks for all the help, I am getting so close to having everything I need for this form.

Thanks

Mike

2 Replies

Former Community Member

Hi Mike,

I have used the following technique to auto-number a form:

1) Create a hidden field and use a FormCalc function to get the date-time when the form is opened

// form1.purchaseOrder.header.DateTimeField1::initialize - (FormCalc, client)

// The hidden field DateTimeField1 is used as the source for the P.O. number.

// The function, below, returns a string in the format 20081107055344 where 20081107 is YYYYMMDD and 055344 is HHMMSS.

$.rawValue = Concat(Num2Date(Date(), "YYYYMMDD"), Num2Time(Time(), "HHMMSS"));

2) On the target id field extract the month, day, and time (down to the millisecond)

// form1.purchaseOrder.header.poNum::calculate - (JavaScript, client)

// DateTimeField1 is used to generate a unique P.O. number (see the initialize event on DateTimeField1).

// DateTimeField1 produces a value in the format 20081107055344, for example. In this example the substring

// removes the year 2008 to produce the P.O. number 1107055344.

var str = form1.purchaseOrder.header.DateTimeField1.rawValue;

this.rawValue = str.substring(4,18);

There are many techniques including the creation of a random number using the JavaScript math.random() method.

See https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Core_JavaScript_1.5_Reference/Global_Objects/Math/random

Steve

Level 2

Thanks Steve, I'll give it a shot. Will this lock the number in so it will not change if the customer opens it again? So they can have a reference number to give me to find their request? It seems like it changes everytime it is open.

Thanks

Mike

Message was edited by: AEMIKEA