Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

assembling multiple documents:

Former Community Member

Hi,

This might be the very basic question on assembling docs.

I'm trying to assemble multiple documents. For that, I downloaded the sample workflow process from Tour-De-LiveCycle (livecycle->services->common->assembler) and imported to my server. Later, when I observed the workflow, the input variable is of type list with subtype document. This indicated that all the input values are taken as list. I tried to invoke the process in workbench by right-clicking invoke process.

I see the popup saying input parameter type "java.util.list" has no UI support. Does that mean, cannot I able to test this process through workbench? How else can I invoke this process? I tried with creating watch folder endpoint for this process and dragged some files to the input folder. I dont see any output over there. Is there any way I can test this process?

Cant we provide inputs to any process if the input type is of java.util.list?

thanks in advance,

chaitanya

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 8

The Workbench invoke tool gives you a pretty basic way of testing your applications.  Unfortunately there are some limitations - such as inputting from a List object.

You'll need to call the application from another endpoint - one that supports Lists.

One quick thing you can try is adding a watch folder interface.  This will create a directory on the server that will be monitored for activity.  If you drop a folder contaning documents into that directory then LiveCycle will automatically create a List of the documents and pass that to the application.

Two common thing to be careful of:

• when you create the watch folder endpoint make sure you select "Variable" and put *.* in the variable mapping (or *.pdf, or some other pattern)
  • drop a folder contaning the files you want to merge.  That's how the watch folder knows what requests go together.  If you just drop the individual files you'll get one request per file.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Level 10

You can't invoke within Workbench when you have a list as input. Like the error message say, it just doesn't know how to display a list in the UI.

The watched folder should work.

Enable Records&Playback to see if it's being invoked.

Jasmin

Correct answer by
Level 8

The Workbench invoke tool gives you a pretty basic way of testing your applications.  Unfortunately there are some limitations - such as inputting from a List object.

You'll need to call the application from another endpoint - one that supports Lists.

One quick thing you can try is adding a watch folder interface.  This will create a directory on the server that will be monitored for activity.  If you drop a folder contaning documents into that directory then LiveCycle will automatically create a List of the documents and pass that to the application.

Two common thing to be careful of:

• when you create the watch folder endpoint make sure you select "Variable" and put *.* in the variable mapping (or *.pdf, or some other pattern)
  • drop a folder contaning the files you want to merge.  That's how the watch folder knows what requests go together.  If you just drop the individual files you'll get one request per file.

Former Community Member

Thanks a lot. I checked the recordings & It worked using watchfolder.

Former Community Member

just a last question in this loop:

Can assembler able to assemble tiff documents into single tiff file or it can do only for pdf docs. This is because I will receive all the documents through fax server.

Is it something like I should use pdf generator to convert them into pdf docs first and then only I should assemble? We have not purchased pdf generator for this.

Any alternate option on this?

Thanks,

chaitanya

Level 8

If PDFG is installed then Assembler will call it and automatically change the TIFFs to PDF.  Then it will do the conversion