Expand my Community achievements bar.

Allow user to replace/override system default value

Level 6

Using the Object>Value tab in Designer, a form creator can very easily set a field's default value to whatever he/she wants (i.e $300). After the form is rendered, the problem is if the form field is later intentionally updated (by an admin) with a new value (i.e $350) and then an end-user clears the form using the system "Clear Form" button that's integrated into Acrobat/Adobe Reader.

Is there a way to have a new field value override the initial system default value so it becomes the new default? That way if the form is cleared, the new established default will remain.

For example:

Let's say $300 is added as a default value for a field called AMOUNT in Livecycle Designer (using Object tab>Value tab> Default: $300). The form is later opened/rendered in Adobe Acrobat by an admin who later decides to change the value of AMOUNT from the default of $300 to $350. (NOTE: I should add that the AMOUNT field is originally "protected" but the admin has a way to un-protect the field in order to update the amount, then re-protect it to prevent further editing). Once the update has been made, the form is distributed to end-users.  One particular end-user decides to press the "Clear Form" button that's baked into Adobe Acrobat to reset the form. By doing so, the value of AMOUNT will revert back to the initial $300 since that's the number that was initially set under Object tab>Value tab>Default. What I would prefer is that it remains $350.

Thus, is it possible to script a field to replace or override the system default value? If so, it would be helpful in cases were admins are able to update default prices in tables (using Adobe Acrobat) without having to complete in Designer.

Thanks in advance.

0 Replies