Expand my Community achievements bar.

Add / Delete Rows

Level 2

I have a table inside of a PDF form and I would like users to be able to click to add rows and/or delete rows. How do I make this happen?

3 Replies

Level 10

Hi,

Paul Guerette is giving an online talk on dynamic forms on the 30 November and you should attend this: http://acrobatusers.com/

When you select a row in the table you can set it to repeat in the Object > Binding palette. However there are a couple of other settings that you will need:

1. The page/container needs to be set to flowed.
  2. You need to save the form as a Dynamic XML form in the save as dialog.

Next you will need to script buttons to actually add/delete the rows at runtime.

Here are some examples:

https://acrobat.com/#d=tdpzltrl25yU2PkvgaQO9w

https://acrobat.com/#d=tIpEHFadQtSOefZkU9EBfQ

If you check out the script in the click event of the buttons that should give you some direction. Please note that the underscore (_) in front of the repeating element is shorthand for 'instanceManager'.

More information is in the Help file and samples that come with LC Designer.

Good luck,

Niall

Level 2

I am sorry for being a noob but honestly these weren't of much help. I am pretty new to Adobe PDF Pro 9 and have just started becoming a moderate users with the forms editor. Here is where I am at so far. I have a PDF form I made with the Form Wizard. Done.

Currently there is a table with 5 columns, i.e. 1. Job Title, 2. Employee Count, 3. Full Time (check box field), 4. Part Time (check box field), and 5. Estimated Salary

Basically I want users to be able to enter in employee data for their respective business area and be able to add additional rows detailing each function, hence "add row"

I have seen all of these samples, etc. but i don't know where to start. I open the samples in Adobe Lifecycle and can see the XML but I don't know how to get mine to look like it or modify the script to get this to work. Shouldn't be that difficult but who knows....

Level 10

Okay,

Did you create your existing form in Acrobat? Forms ? Start Forms Wizard?

If you have then this is an 'AcroForm', a form created in Acrobat. This can accept data input etc, but will have limited dynamic features like add row and flowed layout.

The example I posted were created in LiveCycle Designer ES2 and are known as XML forms.

If you want the ability to add rows, then I would recommend that you develop your forms in LC Designer.

While there is an 'XML Source' tab in LC Designer, you really shouldn't go in there that much. If you look at the Design View, you can drag objects from the library (like textfields, etc) and place them on the page. Try a few forms before adding the dynamic features.

LC Designer comes with a Help file and samples.

Here is an example of a typical workspace, showing:

• Script editor at the top
  • Hierarchy to the left
  • Object library, object and other palettes to the right

LC Designer workspace.png

As you drag objects onto the page, you should name them in the hierarchy. This will make it easier when you are scripting and binding the objects.

I would recommend JP Terry's book on LC Designer forms, if you are going to be doing work in LC Designer. Also there are online resources on Adobe's website.

Hope that helps,

Niall