Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Working with other languages

Former Community Member
I see that the list of languages forms can be built using the current version of Designer is 31. In my place of work we produce documents (including forms) in all of those languages and many more that are not on the list. Right now we are using QuarkXPress and slowly moving to InDesign. So how do I for example do up a form in Russian for example using Designer? What do I need to get something built?
7 Replies

Former Community Member
Surely there is someone who is working with other languages out there. Even someone from Adobe should be able to give some clue as to working with other languages even if it's a lead to where I can get more info and learn what to do.

Former Community Member
Hi Steven,

I've created many forms in multiple languages including English, French, and Japanese.

Working with Designer 7.0 for the creation of all of them. All I have needed is the local language installed on my machine to be able to author the text and messages.

For testing however, an Image (VMWare) of the local operating system in the native language along with the same language Reader was tested to ensure everything worked smoothly.

What do you want to do specifically?

Former Community Member
Lee,

Thanks so much for the input. Let me explain what kind of environment I am working in. The department I happen to work in is a mostly Mac environment and the one guy who builds forms in something 60+ languages uses a QuarkXPress to design and produce forms which are then converted to Acrobat files for mostly print form. Occasionally some one requests a particular form be made interactive in which case he give it to me and I build the interactivity in Acrobat 7. Now I know that there are a lot of the languages that we do will not be possible to do using Designer. But there are quite a number of them that can be done.

I'm one of the rare individuals here that is comfortable working in a Windows environment. In fact I rather enjoy both the Mac and Window platforms. Crazy I know but anyway I have working with Designer to see how viable it would be for us to use. I really like it and see some real value in it. Now because we have lots of fonts available on the Mac side of things for these different languages it has been fairly simple to get things done. We have a text conversion group who processes and prepares the various language docs that come in from translation offices the world over and they take of getting the text files set up so everything is good to go. I don't have such a luxury on my Window lap top (that by the way is merely checked out to me on a temporary basis), and I haven't worked with a PC at work very much and I'm just not that familiar with who things work. I haven't found much info in the documentation about really working with other languages. Just statements about how many languages the application is able to handle.

Now as far as the languages go. For example if I want to do a Russian form what do I need to do to get my computer set up to do it? What any extra software do I need to get to run on this lap top etc.

Former Community Member
I don't believe you would need anything more than the additional fonts and languages installed on your machine and be certain to embed those when you save.

However, can I ask why you are using Designer over Acrobat to create the fillable forms?

Former Community Member
1. I don't know what it means when you say languages installed on your machine. You can tell I don't much about PCs. In fact I don't get to maintain the darn thing. Some one else in company has to install things and update it. The fonts are another matter which I need to check with the font support folks here at work.

2. Right now I'm just evaluating it to see what it can do. There have been quite a number of requests for forms with fields that will expand and grow dynamically and I have been working on a few prototype forms that will do just that. So all of the forms so far are done in Acrobat which aint bad.

Some how the idea of being able to design forms using one application seems appealing instead of having to maintain two different document formats for just one form.

Good question.

Former Community Member
Good morning. I have a similar question regarding languages. I need to restrict the language of a form. I thought that if I set the default language/locale to "English (Canada)" on the Forms property option and locale of the Object/Field tabs that the form would only be in English.

However, I get this message stating "The Japanese Language Support Package is required to display this page properly" and it asks to install this package.

How can I avoid getting this message?

Thanks in advance.

Jose

Former Community Member
Hello,

I have 200 pdf documents created with adobe reader pro. 8.0. I need to convert these english pdf documents to Telugu (east Indian language).

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Brian