Expand my Community achievements bar.

Web Service; Error attempting to read from file

Former Community Member
I'm trying to connect to a web service as outlined by the book "Creating Dynamic Forms with Adobe LiveCycle Designer" which is an excellent book by the way.

I'm receiving the following error "Error attempting to read from file. http://www.webservicex.net/BibleWebservice.asmx"

I've successfully created the Data Connection to

http://www.webservicex.net/BibleWebservice.asmx?wsdl

I dragged and dropped the bookTitle, chapter & Versie onto the form. I also dragged and dropped the GetBibleWordsByChapterAndVerseResult and the GetBibleWordsByChapterAndVerseBtn.

I Preview PDF and click the button I get the above error.

Does anyone have experience using Web Services with Adobe LiveCycle ES and have advice on how to resolve this. Any Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-Todd
6 Replies

Former Community Member
Hi,

Have a look at the following forum post. I think it is the same problem as you have. http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3c034a54/0

Former Community Member
Todd,

Not sure if it is relevant to you, but I just posted a comment to the link Daniel provided which might be helpful.

Basically, I had the same problem when using Adobe Reader stand alone (i.e with "Display PDF in browser" switched off) behind a NTLM authenticating proxy (e.g. Microsoft ISA proxy).

John.

Former Community Member
I get the same message.

I wrote a quick and dirty .net webservice. All it does is accept a string, and then it returns a string "true" or "false" based upon if the input string began with a "t". So it's string in, string out. Nothing fancy. I then store in on my localhost, so there are no worries about passwords or the like. I then create a datasource in designer 8 from my webservice on the same pc, which it reads the WSDL just fine. I then drag and drop the datasource to a new blank form.

I then click on preview. I type a "t" in the top textbox and click the button, and BANG the error is displayed.

So I don't really think my problem is related to authentication, but I could be wrong.

I also tried bringing the form up in Acrobat 8 Pro with the same results.

I wrote a little .net client to consume the same webservice and it works flawlessly, but I really need to get this working with PDF forms.

Thanks,

Ray

Former Community Member
Well, I have more news on the error I'm getting. - NO I didn't find the problem. Yet

I checked and made sure that web.config had "None" selected " in authentication mode. I.E. <authentication mode="None" /> This should eliminate any authentication problems since that turns off IIS's authentication checking.

At first I was thinking the form was generating the error trying to read the result coming back from the web service, but I put in some code that writes the result to a log file when the method fires off.

I noticed that when I clicked on the button on the form, the error message would pop up from Acrobat, but when I check the log file, there was NO entry. This means that Acrobat failed before it could execute the method.

Here is the web method:

[WebMethod(CacheDuration = 30,

Description="Returns the String 'True' or 'False' whether or

not you entered a 'T' or 't'.")]

public string TF(string Tf)

{

string result="False";

if(Tf.Substring(0,1).ToLower()=="t"){

result= "True";}

LogFile.Write("Sent: "+result);

return result;

}

Former Community Member
Here is the WSDL:

--- cut _ _ _

The WSDL took up too much space, but you get the idea, it's pretty generic stuff - designer reads the WSDL just fine, but errors when trying to execute the method.

Former Community Member
ok, i found a fix - sort-of.

i rebuilt my web service from .net 1.1 to 2.0 - now it works.

Ray