Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Submit form with attachments

Level 4
hi..

I have to develop a process that submits a form with attachments.

My question is, can we extract the attachments from the subbmitted form? If yes, in which format the attachments will be extracted?

If no, how will the form be submitted, can it be converted to xml or will it remain as pdf only?

I am new to LiveCycle, kindly provide me the suggestions...

Thanks and Regards,

Ambika
11 Replies

Level 10
"can we extract the attachments from the submitted form?"

Yes. Look at the Attachments property of the processFormSubmission operation of the Forms service.

"If yes, in which format the attachments will be extracted?"

They will be extracted in a list object of subtype "document". The document object is an Adobe proprietary data type that can contain pretty much anything. In your case it'll most likely contain a byte[] representation of your documents.

Jasmin

Level 4
Thanks Jasmin. This has helped me a lot...

There is one more thing, i will like to clear out, can a form submitted with attachments be converted to xml for saving into DB or will it remain in pdf format only?

Thanks and Regards,

Ambika

Level 10
Why don't you just save the PDF as a BLOB in the database?

I don't think going to XML would be the right thing to do.

Jasmin

Level 9
Hi Ambika

Two points:

1. You can extract the XML from a PDF form. Use the submit operation in the Forms service.

2. If you're using process management, you can enable a separate tab in Workspace which handles attachments nicely. Usually a better option than trying to embed them in the PDF.

Howard

http://www.avoka.com

Level 4
Thanks Jasmin n Howard...

Howard, can u please let me know which tab handles the attachment, I tried to figure out but was not successful...

Regards,

Ambika

Level 10
You need to make sure you enable attachments when you create the Task Manager endpoint in adminui.

Jasmin

Level 2
Hi Ambika,

I have the following requirement. You seem to be familiar to this and I hope you will be able to help me out.

I have a form having a Browse button that gives the user a facility to upload the documents.

When he clicks the submit button, the document should go and get stored in the Database, on the server (that can be Documentum or Alfresco).

I am just a beginner in this field, so can you please provide me the steps to follow to achieve this. I'll be really thankful to you.

My e-mail : yogesh249@gmail.com

Thanks

Yogesh

Former Community Member
Ambika

Within your Assign Task step in Workbench, go into the "Attachments and Notes" section and ensure that "SHow attachment window for this task" is checked should you wish to allow attachment adding. If the user step you're attempting to enable attachments for is actually your TaskManager endpoint, then you need to go into your service within AdminUI where you'll find a checkbox reading something along the lines of "Allow attachment adding".

Yogesh

I'm a bit confused as to what you are trying to accomplish. Could you clarify what you would like to do for me?

If either of you have questions, please feel free to email me directly!

Josh Boyle

jboyle@cardinalsolutions.com

Cardinal Solutions Group

Level 2
Hi Guys,

I've made a process that uploads a document into the repository.

When in workbench I right click the process and click Invoke process, it gives me the following error.

ALC-DSC-005-000: com.adobe.idp.dsc.DSCNotSerializableException: Not Serializable

Caused by: ALC-DSC-003-000: com.adobe.idp.dsc.DSCInvocationException: Invocation error.

It worked intermettently, But I am not able to make out how to make it work.

Any ideas regarding this would be helpful.

You can reply to my e-mail : yogesh249@gmail.com

or post your replies here itself.

Level 4
hi all,

im rendering a form through a process(invoking the process through a servlet)... the form will allow the user to attach files. on click of submit button, it calls a servlet. the servlet should check if the form contanins any attachments...if yes it should save the attachments in DB, but when ever i check for attachments in the servlet(console) it says "empty".

and whn i try saving the form in a the local drive and open it, it says not of proper format.now whr is the issue in the form or the way i check for attachments.

Level 1

I am using map<document> to receive multiple attachments, which is working fine with the one attachment but when i tried with multiple attachment its only receive one attachment (last attachment from all the attachments) in my workflow process, how can i receive all the attachment in my workflow.