Expand my Community achievements bar.

Submit Email returns filled in PDF document

Former Community Member
I has created a fill in form for my website with Adobe Acrobat Professional 8.0, Forms Function which take me to LiveCycle Designer to create the form. When I insert the SUBMIT EMAIL button the guide says I can get either the data back or a filed in form as an attachment. The default condition seems to be just getting the data back as an XML file.

What I want to get back is the filled in form as an attachment. Each response is "one-of-a-kind" and I don't need to manage the data, merge the data, or consolidate the data. I just need to view the completed form and be able to print it off.

How do I change the default setting in SUBMIT EMAIL from data to filled in form attachment?
34 Replies

Former Community Member
That is not really a submit button. Drag a new button onto the page and make it a submit type (in the object palette). Once it is a submit type then a new submit tab will appear. In the submit tab you can choose the submit as "PDF". This will submit the entire PDF. In the submit URL you can use the mailto command (do a search on google for mailto there is a complete protocol that you can use to set up your email address).

Former Community Member
I am trying to extract fields data(only) from Form as XFDF file

and send to the SharePoint site using following URL:

http://affinityshare/Enrollment/AppExtract/Forms/AllItems.aspx

But I am getting error message: 'Bad Image'. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Mikhail.

Former Community Member
Has anyone figured out the "double email" problem with Lotus Notes? IO am having this issue now and I can't figure it out. If I can't get this to work, the client is going to "go another route" which most likely means not using my company any more. Help!

Former Community Member
To Dave Cox,

Have you gotten an answer to the double email problem with Lotus Notes? I need to find a solution, too.

Diana Burke

Former Community Member
Hi - I am having issues with a submit button.

I tried the instructions from the 1st message and my submit button at the time worked PERFECTLY.

This time around, nothing changed except for the mailto: email address and when I submit the file, it works perfectly for me. But for other users, the submit button does not work at all. My understanding is that everyone had Acrobat 8 reader installed a few months back (prior to the recent change).

Looking at Msg #2 of:

- your end users must have Acrobat installed; or

- you must pay Adobe for a Reader Extensions license for your form.

Please pardon me if this question sounds silly, but, does the Reader Extension license still apply for Acrobat Pro 8? And if it does, once the extension is installed on my computer, everyone else in the company will be able to use that submit button?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Former Community Member
Yes it applies for all Reader versions. Installing Reader Extensions is only part of it. Once you have it you then take the form you want to distribute and "Reader Extend" it. This process turns bits on in the PDF that tell Reader the functionality that you want. Now you can distribute the Reader Extended form.

Level 1
Each time I attempt to access the xml code of a dynamic .pdf form from Adobe LiveCycle Designer 8 to change the default submit behavior from xml to .pdf , I receive the following error:

------

Runtime Error!

Program: C:\Pr

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.

------

Any suggestions re: why this isn't working? Or where at Adobe support might be available?

Former Community Member
Can you send the form to livecycle8@gmail.com and I will have a look.

Former Community Member
Diane

I thought I had the email problem solved by putting a comma after the email address. It worked great in Lotus Notes. Then a user tried the form in Outlook and the comma was inserted into the email address causing an error. I then changed the comma to a semi-colon which fixed Outlook, but then generated errors in Lotus. Ugh. I just wish I could figure this out. Seems that if Adobe wants to include a "Submit by Email" function that it should actually work reliably on popular email clients.

Any help would be appreciated!

Former Community Member
When we communicate with a mail client we do not know which one it is. We simply make an API call to the system and the mail client picks it up. I guess your only option woudl be to ask the user which mail client they are using and then adjust the call accordingly.

Former Community Member

I have a similar problem.  My form is used internally, all of my users have Lotus Notes.  When the Submit by Email button is selected the form generates double email addresses, (but only at one site in Europe).  Is there any way to modify the "send to email address" in the Submit by Email button so that it does not generate double emails when used in Lotus Notes?  Or is there any other way around this problem to make the .xml file submit correctly in Lotus Notes?

Level 2

This problem has come up in other forum and it's believed to be a bug in Lotus Notes. One workaround was to put a space next to the comma after the address.

Former Community Member

Thank you for your quick, and helpful response.

I modified my form per your suggestions, sent it to Europe and they were

able to submit it without an error message!

Of course, I received duplicate responses, but at least it worked error

free. Thank you.

Has anyone ever located the root of the Adobe/Lotus Notes problem to

completely eliminate the duplicate address?

Lori Kassuba <forums@adobe.com>

04/23/2009 09:35 AM

Please respond to

clearspace-1528272625-1JmC-2-81M9@mail.forums.adobe.com

To

Kevin Lucas <kevin.lucas@cascorp.com>

cc

Subject

Submit Email returns filled in PDF document

This problem has come up in other forum and it's believed to be a bug in

Lotus Notes. One workaround was to put a space next to the comma after the

address.

Former Community Member
Thanks Paul. So the different mail clients are handling this call differently. Lotus Notes is the one giving me the most problems and that is what my client uses. However, the people he is sending the form to are generally not on Notes, so I need to convince him that it is OK that the form doesn't work on his system! LOL!