Expand my Community achievements bar.

Radically easy to access on brand approved content for distribution and omnichannel performant delivery. AEM Assets Content Hub and Dynamic Media with OpenAPI capabilities is now GA.

Submit Email returns filled in PDF document

Former Community Member
I has created a fill in form for my website with Adobe Acrobat Professional 8.0, Forms Function which take me to LiveCycle Designer to create the form. When I insert the SUBMIT EMAIL button the guide says I can get either the data back or a filed in form as an attachment. The default condition seems to be just getting the data back as an XML file.

What I want to get back is the filled in form as an attachment. Each response is "one-of-a-kind" and I don't need to manage the data, merge the data, or consolidate the data. I just need to view the completed form and be able to print it off.

How do I change the default setting in SUBMIT EMAIL from data to filled in form attachment?
34 Replies

Former Community Member
Hi David,

The Email Submit Button is hard coded to submit XML Data. To change the type of attachment, youll need to create a custom email button. For example:

1. Create a regular button.

2. In the Object palette, set the Control Type to Submit.

3. Go to the Submit tab. In the Submit to URL box, type the submit email address preceded by mailto:. For example: mailto:myEmail@domaine.com

4. Select PDF as the Submit As type.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Hélène

Adobe Systems

Level 9
Yes but...

Please note that in order to submit a PDF, either:

- your end users must have Acrobat installed; or

- you must pay Adobe for a Reader Extensions license for your form.

If you don't do this, your button won't work.

Howard

http://www.avoka.com

Former Community Member
I want to create a form that scrolls through a contacts database but cant find in the help system how to implement first/last/previous/next navigation buttons. Any ideas?

Former Community Member
I have used Adobe LifeCycle and created a form that we would like to use in our company. I would like to distribute the form to our users but our company uses Lotus Notes as email client not Outlook Express.

Is there a way I could modify the submit button to where it sends the pdf file created through Lotus Notes not Outloook?

I will appreciate any help I could get.

Thank you in advance.

M. Kebe.

Level 9
Hi Mbacke

Have you tried this?

It should just work.

Howard

Former Community Member
Hi,

With the submit by email button, is there a way not to specify an email address, so when the user hits the button they can then put in the email of the person what to send the form to.

Thanks.

Former Community Member
In Live Cycle Designer 8.0.1291 I followed your advice, which is confirmed by the help system, but . . . when I get to the object tab, your step 4, there is no option for Submit As PDF. Any thoughts?

Level 9
YOu need to use a regular Submit button, instead of an Email Submit button.

Then make the url "mailto:xxx@yyy.com"

Howard

Former Community Member
Hi Danny,

If not to specify the email adress at first, regular submit button's http adress can be "mailto:" instead of "mailto:xxx@yy.com".

Asiye

Former Community Member
Hélène

Adobe Systems

I followed your instructions for the Email Submit Button but when I selected the Submit while in Adobe Acrobat the email address was written twice and my Lotus Notes To: field (Stormy.xxxxx@mymailboxStormy.xxxxx@mymailbox). How do I make the Submit Button use just the one I placed in the URL in Adobe LifeCycle Designer 8.0.

Former Community Member
Hi Helene -

I'm using Acrobat 7 (not Designer) and am also having some difficulty creating an email button. Here's what I've done:

1. Created a simple button

2. In the Properties window, under actions, I've selected - Submit a Form

3. By clicking the ADD button, I've entered mailto:xxx@xxdomain.xxx

4. Also under Submit Form Selections, I've selected the PDF - The Complete Document radio button.

The problem is, when I click the submit button on the document I get a "SELECT EMAIL CLIENT" window. When I select the client and press OK, I then get a SEND DATA FILE window. It states: "Click SEND DATA FILE to switch to your email client and send the form's data file. The form itself is not sent. Please print your completed form if you would like a copy for your records." I only get 3 options: Send Data File; Print Form or Cancel. I want to send the actual PDF (which is also what I selected to send in the "Submit Form Selections" window.

HELP!! What am I doing wrong???

Level 7
>I'm using Acrobat 7 (not Designer)

I recommend the Acrobat Windows forum, in that case. They will be able

to explain why "submitting" with email is not really viable for any

real world form.

Aandi Inston

Former Community Member
Hi,

I am using Adobe Livecycle 8 and Lotus notes email client duplicates the mailto: addresses ( so the xxx@mycompanydomain.com is twice with no seperator)

And yet it does not do this in Outlook ( my test box) - Only in Lotus notes 6.5??? can u help ?? It is definately a notes conflict. But we have many thousand user base - all using Notes !

-I have tried many iterations placing the mailto: in quotes "" etc etc..

stil no joy- , infact my document changes completely when I try these options. i.e the no longer becomes a returnable pdf form.

Help - it is 10.30 pm Friday night in London, UK. Iwant this ready for Monday!

Former Community Member
no luck rectifying this problem of double entry that looks like this xxx@yy.comxxx@yy.com in Lotus notes 6.5.5 - seems like a Notes issue as it works just fine with outlook. Any ideas how to fix this problem ? I have tried various combinations of "mailto:xxx@yy.com" etc etc.. no luck my document is almost ready !

Former Community Member
Hi team,

I'm just getting started again on forms and I have done the intro tutorial for the "Corporate Picnic" form.

When I go into the Preview mode and click on the Print button the form goes to the printer ok but when I click on the Send by email button nothing appears to happen.

Do I need something more to make the send by email function work properly?

Cheers

Bernard

Former Community Member
I have created numerous forms in LiveCycle Designer 8 that our field staff are able to access from our website. They can fill in the forms, save them, and email them to someone as a PDF attachment.

First, in LiveCycle: Create your submit by email button. Click on it to select it & look at your XML Source tab (View, XML Source). You will see this line:

<submit format="xml" textEncoding="UTF-8" target="mailto:"/>

Change the "xml" to "pdf". Save the form.

Second, open the form in Acrobat. Click on Advanced, Enable usage rights... Follow the prompts. I usually save this one with a differnt name because you cannot edit the form in LiveCycle once usage rights are enabled.

Former Community Member
Bless you, Laura--that was exactly what I needed :)

Kathryn

Former Community Member
I am not able to find the submit type button anywhere, Can somebody please help me.

regards

Shri