Expand my Community achievements bar.

Radically easy to access on brand approved content for distribution and omnichannel performant delivery. AEM Assets Content Hub and Dynamic Media with OpenAPI capabilities is now GA.

Save xml data to a folder from Form Guide

Level 3
Hi,

Hopefully someone has done this before.

What I would like to do is have a button on my form guide that when pressed will save an xml file off to a folder on the server.

I will have a seperate process that is watching this folder, take the xml as input, render with a form as pcl file and save in another directory.

I'm having two problems:

1. Can I use javascript behind the button to save the xml file to a seperate location??

2. How do I go from xml and a form (xdp) to a pcl file??

Thanks in advance!

James
5 Replies

Former Community Member
You cannot access the file system with the javascript we provide you in a Guide. You will have to submit the data to the server and have a server program do it for you. You could extend the flex wrappers to allow this but this would involve Flex coding.

Level 3
Alright thanks Paul.

The way I'm going to do it is to have a livecycle process that excepts an xml file as input and a string declaring which form to use.

This process will generate some PCL (generatePrintedOutput) and save the PCL file off to a specified location (writeDocument).

I will use a web service call to invoke this process via a seperate form (Form Guide).

Can you see any problems with this approach or should this work as I expect??

Level 2
Hello Gentlemen,

I hate to get stuck in the middle here - but I have the need to write both the XML and PDF to a folder on their local drive AND no idea where to start.

Could you tell me if this is possible, and how I would achieve it? I do have access to programers on our team, if it is beyond the LiveCycle designer features.

Also, (while I'm at it) - I'd like both these functions to be built into one button, and to happen simultaneously.

Thanks,

Zoe

Level 3
You will need to use the generatePrintedOutput and generatePDFOutput services that come with LiveCycle Output ES.

Here is a very good article to help ya get started and has a good example:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/livecycle/articles/process_output.html

Level 2
You've been a huge help, thank you so much James!