Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Reader could not open file

Former Community Member
My work colleague opened a PDF through using Designer 7.0 and amended certain areas by including check boxes etc. When they had finished and saved the document (as PDF) she tried to open this document through Adobe Reader 8.0 a couple of days later she (and also myself) received this error:

Adobe Reader could not open file because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged, (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasnt correctly encoded)

When we tried to open the PDF through Acrobat 7.0 we received this message: error #1003 converting file:

appform.pdf message = (1003) unable to open input file: appform.pdf

Can anyone help?

Thanks.
4 Replies

Level 2
When you change a PDF using Designer, you must use the distribute feature so that when you when you save it, it becomes published and it will be then able to be used on 7.0 reader.

Former Community Member
Thanks but I am not sure where this distribute feature is. I am sure I read that this is in version 8, we are using version 7.

Former Community Member
Adobe Reader could not open file because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged, (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasnt correctly encoded)

getting the above error while trying to open a report in pdf format in the browser.

Used the below code.

Dim s1 As FileStream

Dim br As BinaryReader

Dim buffer() As Byte

s1 = New FileStream(FILE_NAME, FileMode.Open, FileAccess.Read)

br = New BinaryReader(s1)

ReDim buffer(br.BaseStream.Length - 1)

Response.BinaryWrite(buffer)

Response.AddHeader("Content-Disposition", "attachment;filename=test.pdf")

Can anyone help me out in this

Level 1

I need help. All of a sudden my computer could not open up any PDF's and the Icon and most of the icons on my desk top won't open so I uninstalled and reinstalled Adobe Reader and Adobe Flash. I can now open PDF's but not the icons on my desk top. When I try to open them it says:

"Adobe Reader could not open file because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged, (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasnt correctly encoded) "