Expand my Community achievements bar.

"submit by e-mail" does not work properly

Former Community Member
Adobe Designer 7.0

Windows 2000 Pro, SP 4

Compaq Evo N620c

No printer

512 Mb RAM

I went through the tutorial to create a office function survey form. Everything works fine except the "submit by e-mail" button. When I click on it, (as I test the file in the "PDF preview" feature), it prompts my desktop mail application, (FirstClass), to open up and create the e-mail with the .xml file attached to it. So far, so good. However, even though the e-mail address and e-mail subject fields are filled out for the object, it fails to add these values to the actual e-mail, leaving the fields blank, (on the FC e-mail), instead.

I cannot think of what I may be doing wrong here. I followed the tutorial to the letter and common sense tells me this should work. That I am aware of, FirstClass would not impede this process. Am I missing something?
41 Replies

Level 1

I had a similar problem and finally realized that it had something to do with having 2 Outlook profiles loaded on my computer.  Even though I was logged into my personal email profile, the file was being stored in the second profile’s outbox.  As soon as I logged into the alternate profile, the form was sent. 

Former Community Member
Similar problem, Mailto button not working. Lotus Notes is my default mail client and yes it is selcted. All other forms are working properly, only adobe livecycle forms are not working with the mailto button. Is this product not meant to be used with Lotus?

Former Community Member
I too have created a PDF with form fields from Acrobat Pro 7 version that i want people to fill out and click on a button I have created with a "submit form" action (mailto:) to email the form as a complete PDF, but when you click the button it gives an error message: "this operation not permitted. The user was using Adobe Reader 9. Please help.

----

John

Former Community Member
okies I'm having a similar issue I have Adobe 8 Pro. and use Mozilla Thunderbird for email. I have tried all the suggestions here and none of them have worked to make it email all I get is Acrobat is unable to connect with your email application.

Former Community Member
I also am trying to create a form in Acrobat 8 Pro, and have also found that the submit email button does not work. I've been testing the form in Adobe Reader 9, and when I click the "submit" button (that should email the form) I get an error "This operation is not permitted". Is there any solution to this problem?

Level 1

3 years and the 'submit by e-mail' problem still persists - Our company uses OpenText FirstClass as the mail system. I have LiveCycle 8 and submit buttons work perfectly through Outlook. However this is not a viable option. Would be nice if Adobe could make this work with other mail clients. Any solutions???

Level 1

Hey,

I have one question... Are you opening the forms through Internet Explorer?

We have it set up where we keep a list of our available forms on our intranet. Users would open the form through a hyperlink on the list. We found we were having issues as well.

Both email submit buttons (the default one and one we created) were trying to open Outlook Express. We use Novell Groupwise.

The solution turned out to be changing "Programs" under Internet Options on I.E.

Email was set to Outlook. Once we switched it to Groupwise. No problem.

Hope that is of some help.

D.

Level 2

I'm having the same problem everyone else is.  I'm using Mozilla Thunderbird as my e-mail client, and when I click on "submit" in a form I created in Live Cycle, I get a dialog box asking me whether I'm using an e-mail program on my local computer, or web mail.  No matter which option I choose, nothing happens.  I get the same results whether I view the form in Reader or Acrobat.  I have Thunderbird set as my default e-mail client in Internet Options.  Just out of curiosity, I switched it to Outlook and it worked okay -- except that I don't have e-mail set up in Outlook, and I would have had to set up an account, etc.

Since there are so many people not using Outlook or Outlook Express these days, I can't believe the developers of Live Cycle still haven't solved this problem after something like three years.

Former Community Member

I was having the same problem.  The email wouildn't submit from Reader.  From another forum I discovered the following.  "If you are trying to submit the entire PDF and not just the data, then the form has to be rights enabled for save before it will work on Reader.  Look under the Advanced menu on Acrobat Professional."  I just tried it and it works.

Level 1

Dear "Bob14221".

You are truly genius!!. I have stuck with this same problem "This operation is not permitted." for 2 days. However, finally, I have solved the problem by your advice.

THANK YOU SOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!!

Level 1

Thank you very much! I could not have figured this out without your help! Truly appreciate you sharing this!

Level 1

Hi I'm currently using Adobe Acrobat Pro 8 and LiveCycle Designer 8 and none of the fixes listed so far have worked.  We use Lotus Notes 8.01.

ANY help will be much appreciated....

Level 1

Have you managed to get this one sorted?  If not, can you explain what problems you are experiencing as there are several topics on this page.  Are you trying to return the data along with the pdf or are you tring to send it as xml?  or is it that you just cant get the reader to recognise notes as your email client?

Level 2

Quite frankly, Patrick, I gave up. Nobody seemed to have an answer, and I don't

even remember all the circumstances. You'll note that post is over a year old.

I stopped using LiveCycle entirely.

Level 1

Hi - Using Adobe Acrobat 8 Profession for the Mac.  I'm having a submit by email problem. I followed the instructions (perfectly) and keyed in (where it says URL): mailto: (and put the email address here). What I get when I test the form is a box that says....The SendMail doesn't know how to talk to your default mail client. Select a different mail application to us. I have tried my gmail account and my work which is an education account. Nothing works.

Help.

Former Community Member

Hi

I had the similar issues with Adobe LiveCycle Designer 8 so I found the following and problem gone.....

1. Modify the underlying XML for the "Email Submit":  In LiveCycle designer with the form displayed, select the "Email Submit" button on your form.  Use the "View > XML Source" menu item to display the XML source code for the form.  The first line  of the "Field" tag for this button should be selected and visible in the window.  If you look down the XML tags inside the field you'll see an "event" tag that contains a "submit" action tag.  This is what needs to be modified.  Everything about the submit is controlled from here.  To change the submission format, change the "format" property to "PDF", so the "submit" tag should now look like this:

<submit format="pdf" textEncoding="UTF-8" target="mailto:">

2. Use a regular form button:   Place a regular form button on your form .  Look on the Object Window for the button.  On the Field tag, towards the bottom will be a set of "Control Type" radio buttons.  Select the "submit" option.  There should now be a "submit" tab in the Object window.  Switch to the tab and on the "Submit As" pulldown select PDF.

3. Use a JavaScript: This is the most flexible method.  With a script you can dynamically control every aspect of the data submission.  See these articles at the Acrobat Users web site.

http://www.acrobatusers.com/tutorials/dynamically-setting-submit-e-mail-address

http://www.acrobatusers.com/tutorials/2006/submitting_data

Former Community Member

Hi

I had the similar issues with Adobe LiveCycle Designer 8 so I found the following and problem gone.....

1. Modify the underlying XML for the "Email Submit":  In LiveCycle designer with the form displayed, select the "Email Submit" button on your form.  Use the "View > XML Source" menu item to display the XML source code for the form.  The first line  of the "Field" tag for this button should be selected and visible in the window.  If you look down the XML tags inside the field you'll see an "event" tag that contains a "submit" action tag.  This is what needs to be modified.  Everything about the submit is controlled from here.  To change the submission format, change the "format" property to "PDF", so the "submit" tag should now look like this:

2. Use a regular form button:   Place a regular form button on your form .  Look on the Object Window for the button.  On the Field tag, towards the bottom will be a set of "Control Type" radio buttons.  Select the "submit" option.  There should now be a "submit" tab in the Object window.  Switch to the tab and on the "Submit As" pulldown select PDF.

3. Use a JavaScript: This is the most flexible method.  With a script you can dynamically control every aspect of the data submission.  See these articles at the Acrobat Users web site.

http://www.acrobatusers.com/tutorials/dynamically-setting-submit-e-mai l-address

Level 1

I have created a form with a submit button in Acrobat Professional 9, and sent it out.

I can get a successful completed form pdf by way of reply but ONLY from some customers.

From what I have read above, this may be to do with the customer's email client (it doesn't reply if the user is on Windows Mail for example: a message saying "operation failed" comes up when the submit button is clicked).

I am desperate to solve this on behalf of a client and already have egg on my face.

Can anyone advise as to how I can get a reply from ALL recipients of the form?

hugh

Level 1

I created forms in Pro 7 LiveCycle with email submit buttons but since i cannot activate it I had to move to Standard X.  this has been bothering me for days as i have multiple forms that each go to a different distribution list.  The only way i could get the email button to work distributing them w/ Standard X was to go to Edit, Preferences and change the settings for Identity; changing the subject line and e-mail each time i distributed a different form.

Level 1

Answer is below.. here is the copy and paste to make your life easier!!!

Hi

http://www.acrobatusers.com/tutorials/dynamically-setting-submit-e-mail-address