Expand my Community achievements bar.

Radically easy to access on brand approved content for distribution and omnichannel performant delivery. AEM Assets Content Hub and Dynamic Media with OpenAPI capabilities is now GA.

Protecting Data

Former Community Member
Please forgive me, I'm a Designer newbie & don't know anything about program languages. But I need help...

I want to password protect a pdf form, allow a user with the password to fill it out, and password protect the data that is sent back. Delivery method is email, using the Submit by Email button.

Is there a way to do this? (My resources do not include a server.) I read the help topics that seem to be related, but I didn't see anything about protecting the data that is sent back.

Thanks!
5 Replies

Former Community Member
PDF security can be set in document properties. To do this, in Designer, go to File>Form Properties>PDF Security tab> and select your desired password protected options.

Former Community Member
I did do that, and it works for opening the doc, but the data that's shipped back (via email) doesn't seem to be protected.

The users probably only have reader, so they can fill out the form, but they can't save it with the data & send it back...

Former Community Member
The data being emailed back to the receipient by users who are using Reader is in XML format which a text format and it is human readable.

With reader, the users can not save the form with filled in data.

What do you mean by protect the data shipped back (via email)?

Former Community Member
Password protect the xml file, like the form. I'd say encrypt the file, but I don't know that encryption/decryption is available.

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me to password protect an empty form, but not the data that's coming back. The form itself isn't that sensitive, but the contents are.

This might not be possible with the tools I have... I just wanted to make sure.

Former Community Member
Looking for confirmation... is there a way to make the data secure that I'm not aware of?