Expand my Community achievements bar.

Policy Server and Offline Forms

Former Community Member
I have a basic question regarding the LiveCycle Policy Server and offline PDF forms. If I have an XDP form wrapped with a policy and saved to my desktop as a PDF and I lose my internet connection can I still open up and fill out the form? Does the policy get embedded into the PDF form or does it need to "phone home" in order to allow me to open the document. Any advice or suggesions on dealing with this situation are welcome.

Thanks,

Joe
4 Replies

Former Community Member
It depends on the policy applied. Specifically whether the Policy allows offline use. Although, even if the Policy allows offline use, the first time it must be opened online to allow for the necessary information to open the PDF to be downloaded to the local machine and stored in a microsafe.

Chris

Adobe Enterprise Developer Support

Former Community Member
Chris,

Thanks for your response. In this particular scenario the policy WILL allow for offline use. Based on what your answer, if we want to lock down the form so that only one user will have access to it via a policy. That user will need to have internet access to initially open the form and save it but after it is saved to their desktop they will be able to access it without an internet connection. Once they are back online they can submit it to a server. Is my understanding correct? Also do you have any more information on the microsafe, is that transparent to the user when they save the document (i.e. it is just a part of Adobe).

Thanks,

Joe

Former Community Member
walterjk@adobeforums.com wrote:

> Chris,

>

> Thanks for your response. In this particular scenario the policy WILL allow for offline use. Based on what your answer, if we want to lock down the form so that only one user will have access to it via a policy. That user will need to have internet access to initially open the form and save it but after it is saved to their desktop they will be able to access it without an internet connection. Once they are back online they can submit it to a server. Is my understanding correct? Also do you have any more information on the microsafe, is that transparent to the user when they save the document (i.e. it is just a part of Adobe).

>

> Thanks,

> Joe

Joe,

The user doesn't have to submit anything. When the user opens a

policy-protected document, it will automatically attempt to connect to

the Policy Server to determine the permissions. If it is unable to make

a connection, then it will operate in offline mode (if the policy allows

it).

I do not know the details about the microsafe, but it is definately

transparent to the user.

Justin Klei

Cardinal Solutions Group

www.cardinalsolutions.com

Former Community Member
Hi Joe,

Sorry it took a while to get back to you, I missed your reply among hundreds of posts that happened while I was away. Yes, your understanding is correct, and while the user doesn't HAVE to submit, they can submit once they go back online if that's part of your workflow. Justin is correct, all the details involved in allowing offline access are completely transparent to the user, all you need to do is make sure the policy allows offline access.

Chris

Adobe Enterprise Developer Support