Expand my Community achievements bar.

Guidelines for the Responsible Use of Generative AI in the Experience Cloud Community.

OK, so I'm an idiot . . .

Former Community Member
I am the pastor of a church. We purchased Adobe Acrobat 7 Professional so that we could make up some forms which people could have on their computer and fill in the blanks on a Bible study. It is basically a chapter form, so the idea was to have them open the form, then save it as, for instance, "Chapter 1" then fill it in. Then, when they were ready for chapter 2, they would open it, save it as . . . and do the next chapter. As they finished each one, they could click the print button, print it, and have a hard copy for their files.

I am fairly computer literate when it comes to things like basic spreadsheets, word processing and graphic design. So, I figured that it would be fairly easy to get up to speed with Acrobat/Designer. The basics were fairly easy, but then I have spent 2 days trying to figure out how to make a button "save as." A very nice man on this forum gave me a line of script to put on the event thingamajig and it would work great. The only place I could find to enter it was on the script editor. I copied the line he gave me into the editor, but it does nothing. So, I figured that I could just open the file in Acrobat, add the button. That obviously didn't work because, I have discovered, forms designed in Designer are not modifiable in any way in Acrobat.

I have been to Barnes and Noble and bought the Acrobat 7 PDF Bible - figured that would give me the answer. Their answer to Design is that I should go out and get a huge manual on Javascript, take a doctoral class or two on the subject, and then I maybe can figure out how to use it to make my button. (Ok, so I am exaggerating a bit, but not by much)

All of the documentation assumes that you understand a lot of programming in Jave and makes no real attempt to explain things to dummies like me.

Is there anyone out there who would take the time to hold my hand and lead me through the process of creating just a simple button that will save a form with a unique so it can be filled in and then the form re-used? I know that I sound like I'm whining, and I guess that I am, but this is worse than the Greek I had to try to understand in the seminary.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Dan
2 Replies

Former Community Member
Dan, I'll be glad to help you out.

First of all, I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to accomplish.

You say that you're wanting to use forms for people to fill-in the blanks on a Bible Study and you're thinking that they'll open this form, save it as "Chapter 1", fill it in, then open the form again, save it as "Chapter 2", fill it in, etc. It sounds like this "master" form would handle
all Bible Studies however Bible Studies usually vary in topic which means that the blanks that are to be filled-in aren't always the same.

What I'm getting at is that I think you would be better off designing a form for each Bible Study chapter instead of trying to design one large form that handles all studies/chapters. If you're using a single form for all studies, then you might get into a situation where you want the saved form (the copy that the person saves to fill-in) to reflect blanks on a particular chapter and this would be quite complex for a beginner such as yourself.

You could make the Bible Study Chapter forms available on your church's web site for the Bible Study attendees to download. When they would click on the link for the form pertaining to the chapter they're interested in, the Adobe Reader would open the form in their browser. They could then save a copy of the Bible Study Chapter X form to their computer, fill it in and either print it, keep the electronic copy or both for their records.

Let me know if this makes sense to you and we'll figure-out where to go from there in order to get you designing those forms with LiveCycle Designer!

Stefan

Adobe Systems

Former Community Member
Understanding the Linking process:

Hi, I want to create a link to a webpage that will open in a new window. I want to have the link be text ("Form 33A" or "www.etc"). I want to link using LiveCycle Designer 7. I can find info on how to do it making a button, but I don't want a button, I want the text to be hot.

It's 11:30am on Tuesday 3/20/2007, and I need to know VERY QUICKLY as this is my last day at this contract and now they way links in my form.

Anyone have a quick and easy walk through?

Thanks in Advance, O Wonderous Ones, Susan