Expand my Community achievements bar.

Need information

Former Community Member
I have the idea of linking fillable forms to fields within a webpage, wherein the end user could click "print forms" on the web page and the fillable forms would be produced with the information provided filled in the appropriate fields...

I am not a developer by any means, but would like direction as to how to get this project started, or if it is even possible...

Anyone with any information in regards to this project would be of great help to me..

Thank you
2 Replies

Former Community Member
This is certainly possible.

As with any solution, there are many different ways you can approach it.

The first solution, which is the simplest, is to have the user fill-out the forms directly on the PDF form inside the browser. This would avoid having to get Reader Extensions and would also avoid a lot of scripting.

If you have a requirement that the user fill-out the fields in the browser and then have the option to print their data within the context of one or more forms, then I believe you would have two options:

1. Use
    LiveCycle Forms to produce HTML versions of your forms so that the user can still fill-out the forms directly (instead of filling a browser-based form which then populates other similar forms when the user clicks on the "print forms" button).

2. Have the user fill-out some fields on a web page in the browser and upon clicking on the "print forms" button, submit the data to a database or web service and then have that data imported into your form(s) using a data connection to the database or web service. You could also submit the data to a web application which would translate it into an XML format and write an XML file to a server somewhere. Your form could then import the data from that file. Note that in order to use data connections and import data on a form running in the free Adobe Reader, you'll need to use
    Reader Extensions to enable that functionality for your forms when they're viewed using the Adobe Reader. If they're always viewed using Acrobat Pro, then you don't have to reader-extend your forms because that version of Acrobat gives you the data import and connection capabilities you would need.

Please note that these are just my thoughts and ideas. My expertise lies in using Designer. You may want to talk to someone on our
Enterprise Support Team to discuss the best solution for your needs.

Stefan

Adobe Systems

Former Community Member
Jaime_Elmen@adobeforums.com wrote:

> I have the idea of linking fillable forms to fields within a webpage, wherein the end user could click "print forms" on the web page and the fillable forms would be produced with the information provided filled in the appropriate fields...

> I am not a developer by any means, but would like direction as to how to get this project started, or if it is even possible...

> Anyone with any information in regards to this project would be of great help to me..

>

> Thank you

Adobe LiveCycle Forms (aka Form Server) is the right way to go with

this. Form Server allows you to automate the merging of XML data into a

designer form. As an added bonus in your case, it allows you to display

the same form that you created in designer as either and HTML page or a

PDF file. Have a look at some of the Adobe LiveCycle Forms information

on Adobe's website:

http://www.adobe.com/products/server/formserver/

Justin Klei

Cardinal Solutions Group

www.cardinalsolutions.com