Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Multiple lines in text field will not print

Former Community Member
I have created several text fields in a form that was created to be filled in and then printed. The text fields allow for multiple lines but when they are printed they only print the text that has been displayed. Is there any way to get Adobe to print all of the text in the field? Thanks! Teri
11 Replies

Former Community Member
Teri,

In the layout tab for the TextField, you should also click the "Expand to fit" option. This will expand the TextField if needed so that you will be able see everything and it will print everything.

Catherine

Adobe Systems

Level 1

I do not see where the Expand to Fit is - can you help?

Level 1

I cannot find the Layout tab/option to use Expand to Fit  - I can only find the Scroll option. Is it a different version of Adobe Pro that has Expand to Fit?

Former Community Member
I checked the expand to fit and I get the scroll bar on the form allowing me to enter the multiple lines but when I go to print the form it still doesn't display all of the data.

Former Community Member
Teri,

If you select expand to fit for the text field (not just selecting allow multiple lines) you should see the scrollbar while typing in the field and then after it loses focus the text field will resize to fit the text (with no scroll bars). Then when you print all the text is visible.

If this is not what you see happening can you make your form available online somewhere so I can take a look? I tested this here and it worked fine.

Chris

Adobe Enterprise Developer Support

Level 6
Hi Catherine,

When you save your PDF from Designer, be sure to save as a Dynamic PDF rather than a Static PDF. My guess is that's the problem.

Hope this helps.

Jared Langdon

J. Langdon Consulting, Inc.

Former Community Member
it worked for me. Is this supposed to work across multiple pages or not?

Former Community Member
I am also having trouble with this. I am using LiveCycle Designer that came packaged with Adobe Pro. I have a form that has several one-line text fileds and checkboxes at the top and then the last field is a text field for comments. I need this text box to expand to a second page, if necessary. I am VERY new at this and I find the help features with the applicaiton hard to understand. I have the field set to "expand to fit" and I have checked the "allow multiple lines" and saved as dynamic form. It allows me to type as much as I want but it doesn't print. Just displays a + sign at the bottom. I looked at the sample purchase order form and that didn't help me. Can someone give me simple clear instruction on what to do?

Nay hekp would be ver much appreciated.

Thanks

Kathy

Level 5
One more tip that helps:

If you have the expanding field in a subform, better to set the subform also to expand and keep this expanding field at the bottom of subform (make usre you had the layout that way) other wise the expanding field may over write other data items or static text when get expanded.

Former Community Member
Ok. So now the + sign at the end has disappeared but now the overflow test has just disappeared. I don't know how to get this so that it will automatically insert a new page to take care of the overflow. I don't want any headers or any other fields to repeat on the subsequent pages, just that one field. I know this is likely a simple process but I just can't seem to figure it out. Please help me. I need a "for dummies" kind of answer.

Former Community Member
Hello I am using Adobe Lifecycle Designer ES 8.2. I have a similar issue where by I have created several text fields in a form that was created to be filled in and then printed. The text fields allow for multiple lines but when they are printed they only print the text that has been displayed. Is there any way to get Adobe to print all of the text in the field?

At the moment I have set the "Expand to Fit" on the height for the text field object. The pdf form is a dynamic pdf. I do not see where to expand the subform. The last problem is that all the information I type in is inserted horizontally and does not move to the next line below.

Please help

Regards

Eli