Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Livecycle Designer Error- everytime I open FORMS-HELP!

Former Community Member
Can someone help me please?!

I can't seem to find anyone that can.

I have CS3 and everytime I open forms this happens. I have uninstalled and reinstalled it 4 different times-still continues...

I get this ERROR:

Adobe LiveCycle Designer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Error signature:

AppName: formdesigner.exe AppVer: 8.0.2073.1 ModName: unknown

ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 04d58113

then I get a second one saying:

Error signature:

AppName: formdesigner.exe AppVer: 8.0.2073.1 ModName: ntdll.dll

ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180 Offset: 000431a0

thanks,

cyndie
43 Replies

Level 1
Do you have SQL Server Express 2008 installed? If so, remove it and the problem will be fixed.

Bill

Former Community Member
Yep! Unistalling SQL Server Express resolved the Live Cycle issue, but that is whack, since I need SQL Server Express for my web database communications.

Why does "only" Live Cycle puke up with SQL 2008?

Thanks

Bob

Former Community Member
Anyone know of an Adobe or Microsoft fix for the conflict between LiveCycle Designer and SQL Server Express 2008?

Former Community Member
I'm wondering if I'm having the same problem -- everything was working fine until my boss had me do a complete re-install. I thought that might have been the problem, but I can't say for sure.

This is what my error report says:

AppName: formdesigner.exe AppVer: 8.2.1.3144 ModName: formdesigner.exe

ModVer: 8.2.1.3144 Offset: 000a50cb

Can someone help, please? I would love to finish the form -- I put a lot of time into it.

Thanks so much!

Former Community Member
Karen,

I have been fighting the same problem for over a month. I have tried everything that is posted on this forum without any luck. The only thing I can do now is re-format and re-install. But what is the guarantee that is going fix this problem after taking such a drastic and time-consuming step?

I have only one question. Did you buy an upgrade or did you buy a full version? I am just trying to eliminate possible causes!

Former Community Member
It was the upgrade, yes.

I haven't tried anything yet, as it's a work computer and I don't want to go deleting things. However, that being said, I have looked at the other "fixes," and in one case, I can't find the folder to remove, and in the other case, the only SQL I have is a Pervasive SQL we need for a industry-specific program.

I wonder if there is an answer?

Former Community Member
Do either of you have SQL Server 2008 Express (it is installed with Visual Basic 2008 Express) on your computer?

If so uninstalling SQL Server 2008 will correct the problem. They don't play well together.

Former Community Member
Buck,

I have erased every trace of SQL Server from my computer and it is still happening. I have been systematically deleting everything from my laptop and it continues to fail.

FYI I loaded it on a different laptop with XP and it works just fine!

But I cannot go around with two laptops so this has to work!

Karen and my situation is identical in both the sysmptoms and the fact we both have an upgrade. But beyond that I don't understand why an UPGRADE should cause such a problem!

Is it creating a hidden Registry entry that can never be erased or some bizarre thing like that? Because I have uninstalled it several times and each time I have deep cleaned the registry and it still fails the same way in the same place!

Former Community Member
The only SQL thing on this computer that I'm aware of is Pervasive.SQL V8, which is the program that is needed for the industry specific program I've mentioned.

I also tried to find the folder labeled 8.2 that everyone was deleting, but I don't seem to have that, either.

Former Community Member
Karen,

Are you on Vista? I have Vista Ultimate and I have not been able to find the 8.2 folder either. In Vista they changed the folder structure under Documents & Settings but even after doing extensive research I haven't found the folder!

So we have at least one thing in common - We "upgraded". If you are using Vista then it might be a problem with Vista upgrades!

Former Community Member
No Vista, no. I'm using XP SP3 on this machine. I have not been able to find the folder, though, even with detailed directions.

I'm working on a shared system, so I have my own log on. Does that make a difference?

Former Community Member
More Info: DG 10/22

One of my users just started getting this message when trying to load a form in,

He is on XP SP2.

------------------------------------

"ADOBE LIVECYCLE DESIGNER ES"

Error Signature

Appname: formdesigner.exe AppVer: 8.2.1.3144 ModName: formdeisnger.exe

ModVer: 8.2.1.3144 Offset: 000a50cb

------------------------------------

Tried repairing/reinstalling LiveCycle and entire Acrobat 9 PRO program

Uninstalled, reinstalled.. same problem.

I uninstalled windows updates that went on during the last week or two, and also did a windows restore back 2 weeks, when the problem wasn't happening... That didnt help either.

Not Good News: could only find one thread on this and no one seems to have an answer.

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3c061766

Former Community Member
Dave,

I have had the same problem and have tried numerous re-installs, etc. - same as you and nothing helps!

I initially posted my problem at: http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b68faf/10. Some of the users have reported problem resolution with removing Microsoft SQL Server and deleting the Designer 8.2 folder. I have tried both and they don't help!

I thought the problem may be Vista related but users with XP/SPx are also having same problem so it is NOT Vista related!

And nobody from Adobe is taking notice or trying to help either!

Former Community Member
Did anyone try calling tech support? Or is there somewhere more specific we can send our problems? I doubt they read every one of these messages every day.

Former Community Member
Can anyone who is having these issues send the crash dump to livecyle8@gmail.com and I will forward them to R&D for investigation.

Here are instructions on where and how to get the dump files.

=================================================================

Sometimes it is useful to capture an ad-hoc minidump file from FormDesigner when it crashes. Here are instructions for doing this on Vista, and XP.

On Vista 32 bit, wait for the app to crash, and while the "your app has crashed" dialog is still visible, go to Task Manager process list, right click on FormDesigner .exe, and select "Create Dump File' from the context menu. After the dump file is written, its location will be shown in a second dialog box. The "designer crashed" dialog can then be dismissed.

For Vista 64 bit, I think the dump files produced this way are probably not useful, because they will show stacks for the "64 bit side" of the 32 bit process, which is not what we want to look at. For Vista64, it is probably necessary to attach a real debugger to FormDesigner .exe and write a dump file.

On XP, if the default drwtsn32 post-mortem debugger is installed, the dump of the last crash is available at "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson\user.dmp". If the user has installed a different post-mortem debugger (e.g. visual studio) or disabled things somehow, then an ad-hoc dump can be made by waiting for the "designer crashed" dialog, and leaving that open. Then go to task manager's process list and note the process ID of FormDesigner .exe. Then bring up a command prompt and type:

Drwtsn32 -p designer_PID

where designer_PID is the process ID of FormDesigner .exe found in task manager. After that, the "designer crashed" dialog can be closed, and the dump will be found in "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson\user.dmp".

Along with the crash dump file, you should provide the exact build number of the FormDesigner executable you are running (e.g. 8.2 is not sufficient.) You can find the build number by right clicking on FormDesigner .exe and looking at the "Details" tab. It's the "Product Version" entry.

Former Community Member
Paul,

I have the .dmp file but it is too large to send by e-mail - 192 MB /65 MB Zipped. Is there any other way I can send it?

Former Community Member
I am trying to get access to an FTP server where you can place the file. Cna you send me your email details to livecycle8@gmail.com and I will send back the FTP server details?

Thanks for your patience

Former Community Member
My e-mail address is desaipr@dslextreme.com.

Former Community Member
got something to work. Yay.

Here is what I did to get it to work.

1) Signed on as administrator and uninstalled Adobe 9 pro completely.

2) Reinstalled Adobe 9 pro into a DIFFERENT destination folder.

3) Tested LiveCycle, and it worked.

4) Logged back on as the user that was having problems... It DIDNT work.

5) Logged back on as Administrator, renamed his folder under DOCS AND SETTINGS

6) Logged back on as the user, ultimately creating a new folder for him under DOCS AND SETTINGS

7) Tried LiveCycle, and it worked.

8) Copied over the rest of his data from his old profile to his new

9) He is good to go. (Beats reinstalling windows and whatever else...)

Let me know if that helps anyone else.