Expand my Community achievements bar.

JavaScript Help / if else statement / regular expression

Former Community Member
I have a form where the Client Last Name is bound to a data source. I need to provide a copy of the form to a particular person depending upon which letter of the alphabet the Client Last Name begins with (e.g., Carol gets a copy of forms where the client last name begins with A-G, Karen gets a copy of forms where the client last name begins with H-Pe, etc.). I want the correct persons name to appear in the copy notation of the form. I've tested my regular expressions and they are working correctly. I seem to be having trouble when I get to the else if statement in my script.

Can anyone help with this?

Here is my script:

// Show correct FLU Agent according to Client Last Name

var FLU1 = /(^[A-G])/

var FLU2 = /(^[H-O]|P[a-e])/

var FLU3 = /(^P[f-z]|[Q-Z])/

if (FLU1.test(xfa.resolveNode("form1.dbObjects.clientLastName").rawValue)== true);

{

this.rawValue = "Carol";

}

else if (FLU2.test(xfa.resolveNode("form1.dbObjects.clientLastName").rawValue)== true);

{

this.rawValue = "Karen";

}

else if (FLU3.test(xfa.resolveNode("form1.dbObjects.clientLastName").rawValue)== true);

{

this.rawValue = "Cathy";

}
4 Replies

Level 5
In your case all you need to use is just if conditions.... because only one of them will be true any time and no need to use else.

var FLU1 = /(^[A-G])/

if (FLU1.test(xfa.resolveNode("form1.dbObjects.clientLastName").rawValue)== true);

{

this.rawValue = "Carol";

}

else if (FLU2.test(xfa.resolveNode("form1.dbObjects.clientLastName").rawValue)== true);

{

this.rawValue = "Karen";

}

else if (FLU3.test(xfa.resolveNode("form1.dbObjects.clientLastName").rawValue)== true);

{

this.rawValue = "Cathy";

}

Former Community Member
Thank you for the response:-) I'm using Adobe LiveCycle v8. I removed the two "else if" and replaced with "if", but now it always executes the last line of code, "Cathy" (even though condition is false).

I tested each variable again and only Carol returns true on the Client Last Name I am using.

Does anyone know what else is wrong in my script?

var FLU1 = /(^[A-G])/

{

this.rawValue = "Carol";

}

if (FLU2.test(xfa.resolveNode("form1.dbObjects.clientLastName").rawValue)== true);

{

this.rawValue = "Karen";

}

if (FLU3.test(xfa.resolveNode("form1.dbObjects.clientLastName").rawValue)== true);

{

this.rawValue = "Cathy";

}

Level 5
try the following...removed unwanted semicolon(s)....

var FLU1 = /(^[A-G])/

if (FLU1.test(xfa.resolveNode("form1.dbObjects.clientLastName").rawValue)== true)

{

this.rawValue = "Carol";

}

if (FLU2.test(xfa.resolveNode("form1.dbObjects.clientLastName").rawValue)== true)

{

this.rawValue = "Karen";

}

if (FLU3.test(xfa.resolveNode("form1.dbObjects.clientLastName").rawValue)== true)

{

this.rawValue = "Cathy";

}

Level 7
Have you tried trimming your test string to the number of characters in the RegExp?

// Show correct FLU Agent according to Client Last Name

var FLU1 = /^([A-G][a-z])$/;

var FLU2 = /^([H-O][a-z]|P[a-e])$/;

var FLU3 = /^(P[f-z]|[Q-Z][a-z])$/;

if (HasValue(xfa.resolveNode("form1.dbObjects.clientLastName") {

var NameString = xfa.resolveNode("form1.dbObjects.clientLastName").rawValue.substring(0,2);

switch (true) {

case (FLU1.test(NameString) ):

this.rawValue = "Carol";

break;

case (FLU2.test(NameString) ):

this.rawValue = "Karen";

break;

case (FLU3.test(NameString) ):

this.rawValue = "Cathy";

break;

default:

app.alert("Unknown Last name: " + this.getField("clientLastName").value, 1, 1);

this.rawValue = "";

break;

}// end switch

} else {

this.rawValue ='';

} // end if HasValue

You also might want to consider the 'switch(){}" statement since it skips all following test once a test, case, has been meet and allows for a default action when none of the above tests are met.

I have also added code to prevent running the script when there is no inputted value to the last name.

I have not tested the code for LiveCycle Designer but modified it from AcroForms JavaScript.