Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

check if javascript is enabled

Level 4
Hi,

Is there a way to check if JavaScript is enabled on the clients Reader using FormCalc?

Thanks and regards,

Ronny Ruyters
5 Replies

Level 4
I recall reading a blog or somewhere about some script to determine if JavaScript is enabled on the Client when the pdf form is opened, but I'll be hanged if I can find it now. Anybody recall seeing it?

Former Community Member
How can you have javascript check to see if javascript is enabled? If it is disabled your script will not run!

Level 4
I knew I wasn't totally hallucinating!

Adobe Reader with JavaScript Disabled

If you are looking for a simple way to provide feedback to those users who have disabled JavaScript in Adobe Reader, heres a simple approach. This works best on a flowed form as the text and space you are going to display to the user should ideally appear when script is disabled and disappear when script is enabled. Technically if a user has script disabled you cant use script to have a section of text appear or disappear so you need to have the text appear by default and then use script to have the object disappear.

In this example, the JavaScript is Disabled message appears to the user only when JavaScript has been disabled. When script is enabled the text is not displayed as the initialize code this.presence = "hidden"; causes the text itself to disappear. If your form is Flowed then the space that the text appeared in will also be removed. With a positional page, the text will disappear but the blank space will remain.

To download the sample: http://my.adobe.acrobat.com/checkforjavascriptpdfsample/

Posted by Lee Sutton at 04:14 PM

Level 4
Of course, now I can't get the download to work . . . . :-)