Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

How to put process "on hold"

Level 8
Level 8
Hi all,

Almost everytime I am creating a process for a customer they require the functionality of putting a case/order on hold (meaning that it no longer is visible to a user in his/her to-do-list). What I have done so far is to send the task to a group-list, meaning that all users must look for task which is "on hold" in this group and then click on an appropriate button/route to make the cas/order go back into the process normal route. However I wonder what I could do instead, because inevitably I will encounter a customer wher they do not have a group that can be used for this "on-hold" functionality.

Please ask if you don't understand what I am trying to describe

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely

Kim Christensen
8 Replies

Level 8
Level 8
Bump :)

Did no body understand what I am trying to do or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance

Kim

Level 10
There's no out of the box hold functionality.

What you can do is something very similar to what you do now. You can send it to a user step configured to use a temp user. That way the item will go to a queue that nobody really looks at.

Then you can use a Complete Task operation (from Process Management) to complete the task which will put in back in the main process.

Jasmin

Level 8
Level 8
Hi again Jasmin,

Thanks for your reply, I am not sure how to use the Complete Task operation, but I will experiment with it right away and write back with a short description of what I did if anybody else needs the same functionality :)

Sincerely

Kim

Level 8
Level 8
Hehe...so the time has come...

I can't find any documentation on the completeTask operation (under Process Mangement - Task Notification category) in livedocs or in the help for Workbench. Can you help me find this documentation?

I guess what you are suggesting is the following:

Send all tasks that are to be "on hold" to a temporary user. I guess that it might make sense to have one "on hold" Task Assignment per task which must be able to put the task "on hold".

After doing this I would create a "Take off-hold"-process which must be invoked in some way (workspace or whatever). This process looks up in the database for the temp user and returns a list of task that can be completed.

Is this what you were suggesting, or could it be done more simple?

Also I am wondering what input I should feed the complete operation with:

* Task-id: I guess this is for the task I want to complete

* User-id: which user? (the current/the one who submitted the task or?)

* mail-from: which mail adress are we speaking of?

* User-action: I guess this is the routes that can be taken from the temporary user?

I hope you can help me, thanks in advance

Sincerely

Kim

Level 10
Yes, this is kind of what I'm suggesting.

"Task-id: I guess this is for the task I want to complete"

Yes.

"User-id: which user? (the current/the one who submitted the task or?)"

This is the user id of the user that owns the task. Basically your temp user. So you could hard code the value there.

"mail-from: which mail adress are we speaking of?"

This is used when email notification. This would be the email that's configured under adminui under Process Management.

"User-action: I guess this is the routes that can be taken from the temporary user?"

What route is selected.

Jasmin

Level 8
Level 8
Hi again Jasmin,

Thanks for your help. It makes sense to me now.

I just forgot to ask what the attachment input variable should contain?

Sincerely

Kim

Level 8
Level 8
OK, I have found out that it should contain a map of attachments, but how do I get hold of this map of attachments?

I can't get it from the event TaskCreated, so I need to get it from somewhere else...

Sincerely

Kim

Level 8
Level 8
Hi again,

Somehow I can not edit my posts in this thread...:(

I still have the problem with the attachment variable for the completeTask service. I keep getting the "Attachments can not be null" error when I try to invoke the service. However I am pretty sure that I don't have any attachments specified in the task, so I guess that I should be able to complete it in spite of the fact that there is no attachments assigned to the task.

Can you please help me understand the completeTask-service.

Sincerely

Kim